The 2023 Bullpen Thread

sportsfan8703

• 2 weeks later...

Maximum beast mode Felix threw BAL back into Relievers K-BB 1st place over HOU.

Alexis Diaz may cost almost as much as his brother if CIN moves him, but Liam Hendriks will cost relatively less talent as his pay is full.    If you can bank enough Wins, it is a luxury to get to target the Andrew Miller guy and not need the Joe Saunders or Bud Norris guy.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maximum beast mode Felix threw BAL back into Relievers K-BB 1st place over HOU.

Alexis Diaz may cost almost as much as his brother if CIN moves him, but Liam Hendriks will cost relatively less talent as his pay is full.    If you can bank enough Wins, it is a luxury to get to target the Andrew Miller guy and not need the Joe Saunders or Bud Norris guy.

Sometimes the answer is in your own backyard.   Baumann is throwing 97-99 and if he would ditch the cutter and slider and just go 1-2 with the knuckle curve he’s very close to being a shutdown reliever.   Baker is good too.   Givens, Coulombe, and a healthy Tate give us a depth.   A shutdown lefty would be key.  Caliing D.L. Hall!

Elias isn’t paying a King’s ransom for Alexis Diaz.  That’s a NY move (either one) or San Diego move.

• Upvote 1

Interesting moment in the 9th yesterday.  Holt wanted to go out and talk to Bautista with no outs and 1st and 2nd.   Hyde told him not to go.   I liked that.  What can Holt tell him at that point?

25 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sometimes the answer is in your own backyard.   Baumann is throwing 97-99 and if he would ditch the cutter and slider and just go 1-2 with the knuckle curve he’s very close to being a shutdown reliever.   Baker is good too.   Givens, Coulombe, and a healthy Tate give us a depth.   A shutdown lefty would be key.  Caliing D.L. Hall!

Elias isn’t paying a King’s ransom for Alexis Diaz.  That’s a NY move (either one) or San Diego move.

I don’t know what Baumann you’re seeing but he’s a borderline ML pitcher. I think he has to throw those other pitches to keep hitters off his straight as an arrow FB. 

Edited by waroriole

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t know what Baumann you’re seeing but he’s a borderline ML pitcher. I think he has to throw those other pitches to keep hitters off his straight as an arrow FB. 

I’m seeing the one whose “straight as an arrow fastball” has a .193 BA, .203 XBA,  and slugging percentage against of .278. His numbers on his curve and changeup are also good.

Where he’s getting killed is the slider/cutter and he needs to tighten up his command/control.  I see a ton of potential.  Guess you don’t.

And this is why I have no problem closing with Cano or Bautista with a 4 run lead.  Rays up 6-2 going into 9th tonight.  He brings in the non closer.  Out, homer, single, single and now the closer is in with tying run at the plate.  Cash doesn’t seem to be buying into the 99% since he didn’t leave the first guy in.

Edited by RZNJ

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I really want D.L. Hall as a starting pitcher in the rotation some day. (And I say that emphatically.) But I can also imagine DL Hall making a decent closing pitcher.

Chris Sale and Corbin Burnes, just to name two put at least one full season in as a reliever before going back to starting.   It’s not a death sentence.   It might actually help him.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

DL starting for the Tides tonight.

Based on what Mike Elias said last week, they're probably only planning to give him about 3 innings or so. He's been lifting more in the weight room so they don't want to over-exert his body. Especially with that back issue he had to start the season.

28 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What are the O's going to do with Tate?  He has to be activated or optioned by Thursday.    I don't see anyone I would send down for him to join the O's at the moment.

I would imagine they use an option on him. He has 2 option years remaining, so if they do choose to option him and give him more time, he'll still have another full option year remaining.

30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What are the O's going to do with Tate?  He has to be activated or optioned by Thursday.    I don't see anyone I would send down for him to join the O's at the moment.

I suspect he will be optioned.  The only other move I could see them making would be to option Baumann, but Tate has mostly been terrible so I think they let him work some more in Norfolk.

• Upvote 1