DL Hall 2023

justD

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

No because among starters, at least Irvin and Means are ahead of him.  And there are a ton of relievers ahead of him. 

I don't know how anyone can pencil Means in anywhere at this point.  It could be late August before he's back.  I know a lot of people are optimistic it may be July but it was still TJ, Means has been hurt a lot and Elias has traditionally been very careful with injuries.  Not to mention there is absolutely the possibility of set-back during his rehab.  I am not even going to begin to speculate when Means may help this team until he has started to make rehab starts.  

9 hours ago, baltfan said:

No because among starters, at least Irvin and Means are ahead of him.  And there are a ton of relievers ahead of him. 

Last year the O’s used 33 pitchers (not including 3 position players who pitched), and 14 of them made at least one start.  There’s almost no chance that Hall, who is already on the 40 man roster, won’t get called up at some point, unless he’s hurt.  It’s just a matter of whether he’ll stay up.  

Hall's performance has rarely matched his stuff throughout his disrupted minor league career. Hopefully he learns to command his stuff, but unfortunately he may not even develop into a decent reliever. (hoping this is a reverse jinx post) It would be very interesting to learn what the Orioles think is "wrong" with him. Are they using him as a starter to get him innings/experience but are really projecting him as a reliever or trade piece? Or do they really think they know how to fix Hall and help him blossom as a starter? 

I think Tony has mentioned that Hall's stuff was not as good even last September as it was early last year.    I see him throwing 94-95 now and I wonder if we are just overrating his stuff at this point.   It's very good but not lights out.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think Tony has mentioned that Hall's stuff was not as good even last September as it was early last year.    I see him throwing 94-95 now and I wonder if we are just overrating his stuff at this point.   It's very good but not lights out.

I think the O's pitching coaches have convinced him to gear back his velo in favor of command.   He is try to become a pitcher instead of a thrower IMO.     I think they are showing him he can be effective at 95 mph and he can reach back for 98 when he needs it.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's pitching coaches have convinced him to gear back his veto in favor of command.   He is try to become a pitcher instead of a thrower IMO.   

Right now, he's neither.   I'm not sure I buy your explanation.   I guess I'll believe it when I read it.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Right now, he's neither.   I'm not sure I buy your explanation.   I guess I'll believe it when I read it.   

I believe it because I have watched him.

Hall went 5 innings yesterday and gave up 2 earned run.   Pitch count was 85, while is not as good as 75 but that is improvement for him.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I believe it because I have watched him.

Hall went 5 innings yesterday and gave up 2 earned run.   Pitch count was 85, while is not as good as 75 but that is improvement for him.

You have no idea if he's dialed back his fastball on purpose.   You're guessing.   You could be right but I am skeptical.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think the O's pitching coaches have convinced him to gear back his veto in favor of command.   He is try to become a pitcher instead of a thrower IMO.     I think they are showing him he can be effective at 95 mph and he can reach back for 98 when he needs it.

I, myself, believe in the power of the veto. He should veto every batter he can.