Anthony Santander 2023

interloper

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm having difficulty finding the right words to express how thrilled I am with what Anthony Santander has been giving the Orioles. He has been consistent and has been the catalyst to our Runs Batted In. Day in and Day out, when it matters most, Anthony Santander has gotten it done. 

And he's been playing a very decent first base when called upon too. 

Anthony Santander is a key to the Orioles' lineup's offense, and a key to the Orioles' winning streak. 

Agreed. He's not a 1.000 OPS guy but he's a consistent .750-.800 OPS guy and there is value to that. He is on pace to lead our team in homers for the second year in a row. He is also on pace to increase OBP and OPS two years in a row. On top of that, it seems like he is always animated and the first to congratulate guys etc.

He could be a guy that doesn't have a lot of trade value, so it could make sense and keep him to give a QO. Then you get one more year at a reasonable cost, or you get the extra draft pick. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. He's not a 1.000 OPS guy but he's a consistent .750-.800 OPS guy and there is value to that. He is on pace to lead our team in homers for the second year in a row. He is also on pace to increase OBP and OPS two years in a row. On top of that, it seems like he is always animated and the first to congratulate guys etc.

He could be a guy that doesn't have a lot of trade value, so it could make sense and keep him to give a QO. Then you get one more year at a reasonable cost, or you get the extra draft pick. 

I question if the O's will pay Santander when they have Kjerstad ready next season.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am waiting to see if O'Hearn can keep hitting.   He may  be easier to sign to a one year contract with an option year.

I’d be very surprised if he’s suddenly figured it out at 29, but stranger things have happened. His .359 BABIP suggests he’s had some good luck this year. He’s probably closer to a .700-.750 hitter. Decent depth and backup option, but not someone you count on to be your starting 1B. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I’d be very surprised if he’s suddenly figured it out at 29, but stranger things have happened. His .359 BABIP suggests he’s had some good luck this year. He’s probably closer to a .700-.750 hitter. Decent depth and backup option, but not someone you count on to be your starting 1B. 

That is why I am waiting.  I want to see what he does the rest of the season.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Anthony Santader's OPS currently is at .847. That's pretty good! It's ranked 12th in the American League among qualified players.

Austin Hays is just a few spots behind him at 15th for an OPS of .840.

He’s on a bit of a tear lately. It wasn’t that long ago that his OpS was under 800. He’s very streaky. 

It seems to me most likely that Mayo will be the 1B next year (unless case for whatever reason he is traded). If Santander is here, he and Kjerstad can rotate between RF and DH. Not sure where we would put Cowser though. A move probably makes sense for somebody with the overabundance of position players that we have in the org. I’m not sure about the O’Hearn thing, seems we would be best suited to be happy with this season and move on before he reverts back to career norms. Plus he’s a platoon player. Do we really want Mountcastle as the RH player in that platoon? Personally, I would rather just allow Mayo to get those reps since he appears to be the kind of developing young power bat that we want/need. His XBH numbers this year are incredible.