Opening Day 1983

fansince1988

27 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

We didn't have social media, cell phones and kids played outside.  Those would be the positives from looking back.

There were always kids playing outside back then even in the dead of winter and now even when the weather is nice you usually don't see that many children playing outside.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

There were always kids playing outside back then even in the dead of winter and now even when the weather is nice you usually don't see that many children playing outside.

More travel ball and other leagues.

I played baseball in the winter in upstate NY. I came home and looked like Steve Martin and John Csndy in Planes ,Trains and Automobiles in the back of the truck.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This switch happened before social media and smart phones.  Not that technology hasn't played any role.  

It's the helicopter parenting style that became more prevalent in the 90's and especially the 2000's.   Kids, especially younger ones, are no longer allowed to just run the neighborhood unsupervised. 

Edited by ChuckS

20 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Agree with all of this.  I also (honestly) miss the lack of analytics.  It was more fun for me to watch baseball when I knew much less.  Basic stats were all I really needed, along with a few clutch moments to stick in my memory.  Seems like we can pick just about any player apart based on some advanced metric.  I know I am in the minority on this one, but other than helping some deserving players get into the HOF, I could do without all of the modern analytics.

I can see it both ways.  Ignorance is bliss sometimes.  

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This switch happened before social media and smart phones.  Not that technology hasn't played any role.  

It's the helicopter parenting style that became more prevalent in the 90's and especially the 2000's.   Kids, especially younger ones, are no longer allowed to just run the neighborhood unsupervised. 

I remember in the 1980's ,my parents sent me out to play and then when I would come home they had left with no forwarding address. I tracked them down after a few days but I kept falling for this. Not that I was stupid or anything ,I got to the third grade at 14. Beat both my brothers by two years. Not that my parents were mean or anything , they just despised me. Good childhood memories are always important.

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I didn't become a parent until age 36.  Wow was I in for a shock.  Figured as my kid got older the Mrs. and I would have plenty of alone time as our daughter got older and hung out with her friends.

Nope, she was usually home and chatting with her friends on the cell phone or on the computer.  😅

As for playing outside sports wise, you don't see pick up games much of any sort.  All organized play -  that of course we have to pay for.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

I didn't become a parent until age 36.  Wow was I in for a shock.  Figured as my kid got older the Mrs. and I would have plenty of alone time as our daughter got older and hung out with her friends.

Nope, she was usually home and chatting with her friends on the cell phone or on the computer.  😅

As for playing outside sports wise, you don't see pick up games much of any sort.  All organized play -  that of course we have to pay for.  

My friend was going broke from all the travel league expenses.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This switch happened before social media and cell phones.  Not that technology hasn't played any role.  

When these two are a wee bit older, they will have the run of the property. We don't have neighbors... 👍

I believe TV was the beginning of the downfall for outside play. Social media has just exploded that reality. When I grew up, inside play only occured during downpours or snow storms. During the latter, if you had a sled........... 

Parents in my generation, kicked their kids outside. Pick-up/made-up games were the norm. We knew the rules and knew there would be real consequences if we violated them. Like hair brush to the butt consequences. In 1983 I was 40ish - you do the math. I'm glad neither I or our kids grew up in this generation. Thanks for the memories!!!!!