McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Partly depends on how soon Bradish can come back. If that takes longer than expected and Given and Tate also don't come back soon enough, given the versatility provided by Urias, Henderson, Mateo, and Frazier (and Vavra in an emergency), I'd rather see another reliever up than Westburg.

Not allowed under MLB roster rules. 13 pitcher max.

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's better to not think logically when it comes to the major league roster management of the Orioles. 

I'm not sure there's another organization in baseball that would play Vavra and McKenna over Stowers and now they'd rather have a 3rd string catcher who will rarely play. 

BTW, there is no way between Hays, Santander, Henderson, and Stowers they could not find fairly regular PAs for all. Henderson, who struggled against lefties in the minors is 0-for-3 with 3 Ks, and a walk in 4 PAs this year against them. Seems like Kyle could have started at DH against lefties, but yet Kyle couldn't sniff a PA against them despite the fact he hit them his entire minor league career.

I don't think they rate Stowers defensively to the point where he is a Hays replacement (and I think they overrate Hays defensively). I don't understand starting Vavra in RF instead of Stowers. Constructing a roster with 6 outfielders is rather silly. 

I will say, I'm glad they're giving Henderson at bats against lefties. It would be poor for his overall development if they didn't, and the only way he's going to get better is to get practice.  

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only good news is this will allow Stowers to play everyday and hopefully allow him to play well and gain value in trade. He clearly will never play for this organization in any meaningful way despite the fact that all he's done since hitting AA is hit both right-handers and left-handers.

I share your same frustration and bewilderment-- just the other day I said I expected Stowers to start both games against RHP in the Yankees series. But it's too soon to say never like that. Injury or poor performance from any one of 6-7 guys in the regular lineup could open up more substantial PT for Stowers pretty quickly. 

Just like Grayson going from AAA to a rotation start overnight with Bradish's injury, they probably just view Stowers as the best outfielder/DH they don't have space for, and if/once that space exists he'd be first in line.  I don't agree with that assessment because I would be giving Stowers plenty of PT over Vavra and Frazier, but I think that's what's going on. 

It’s really easy to get Stowers consistent playing time. You just need to sit Hays and Santander once a week, and let Stowers run through the DH rotation. There’s no excuse to not give him 3 starts a week even while everyone is healthy and reasonably performing. If Hyde can’t figure that out, they need to find someone who will. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some of you guys are gonna have to get over the emotional attachments to some of these guys when they don’t get enough at bats, are blocked by someone in the majors, get traded before they have a chance to make an impact or some combination of all of the above. 

No Way Meme GIF

• Upvote 1

What I don't understand is why they haven't traded Hays or Santander by now. Even if they don't like Stowers as a full time OF, he could be a credible DH. Just seems like Stowers has enough of a minor league track record to deserve an opportunity for regular ABs. Especially with Frazier we could trade pretty much any expendable player to create opportunities for Stowers without losing much offense or defense.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

This, I kinda wanna see.

Bring up O'Hearn, give him some ABs, show they like him more than Stowers.

This place might implode. 🤣

Actually O'Hearn has been mashing. He looks like he could be a solid pickup. I would not mind seeing him get some 1B or DH ABs. 

Just now, waroriole said:

It’s that last question where he sounds like he has no idea what he’s doing. Or he’s afraid to tell Hays he’s gonna sit some games. Hyder sounds like he isn’t cut out for this. 

If you think Hyde is solely making the call on the lineup then I honestly don’t know what to tell you. 

• Upvote 1