Drew Rom 2023

Frobby

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Forgotten Pitcher of Norfolk threw 6 shutout innings tonight.   He allowed 3 hits, one walk and struck out 4.  He navigated the 6 IP in only 83 pitches, 59 of which were strikes.  

I think he is the forgotten pitcher and prospect.  I know when I watch him pitch nothing really impresses me but who knows.

18 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Any concerns that he’s not striking out a lot of pitchers? Maybe a Zimmerman type who has a nice few games and gets  bombed when the league figures him out.

Sure - that's why he's ranked 24th on the OH prospect list.

That said, he's probably had a better minor league career than John Means.  If he pitches well at Norfolk he'll get his shot in the majors, either with us or someone else.

Here's a chart that's nice to Drew Rom.    I finally poked around enough to figure out a multi-year report of All Affiliated Minors pitchers to see how extensively Grayson has run circles around everyone the last half decade.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=pit&qual=250&type=1&team=&season=2018&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Since 2018, at a 250 IP minimum, Rom also made the first page of K-BB%, a little bit ahead of DL Hall.

54 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Here's a chart that's nice to Drew Rom.    I finally poked around enough to figure out a multi-year report of All Affiliated Minors pitchers to see how extensively Grayson has run circles around everyone the last half decade.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=pit&qual=250&type=1&team=&season=2018&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

Since 2018, at a 250 IP minimum, Rom also made the first page of K-BB%, a little bit ahead of DL Hall.

Dean Kremer was #11 too.

• 2 weeks later...

One of just three qualified 23 year old pitchers in the International League by Fangraphs reckoning - the much more famous Matthew Liberatore and Luis Patino the others.

Due Rays praise diligence - the still more youthful Taj Bradley has already aced the league, but is still pitching and/or load managing there intermittently for daily roster maximization.