Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

I hope that’s the case.  That increases proof positive evidence.  Either he swings and damages strikes or he strikes out (literally and figuratively) and doesn’t get a pass.

For the record, I’m still in favor on letting him play through, what I think is, the adjustment phase.

I agree with this but would be OK for him to go down, not for more development, but to relax and get hot again, gain some swagger. Just a short stint and Urias can get regular starts. Ortiz can come up as Util IF.

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

This season is about winning and getting to the playoffs. Gunnar isn't helping the offense reach that goal. Today he struck out with the bases loaded, the last 2 pitches were 92 mph fastballs right down the middle. If he can't hit those pitches, something might need to be done to get him straightened out. 

Maybe platoon him with Urias at 3B? Maybe bring up Westburg to take ABs against lefties?

If this year was about winning then the off season would have played out much differently.  Unless it was about "winning and getting to the playoffs unexpectedly on a wholly inadequate budget in spite of the 'plan'" Or is it "the process"?  I still get confused when I try to think too deeply about the O's starting rotation.

For now, I advocate moving Gunnar far down in the lineup (cleanup, seriously?) and if he loses a couple of AB's especially against tough LHP's, no problem.  But to characterize this season as about getting to the playoffs simply isn't supported by the behavior of the people responsible for providing the resources to get that particular job done.

6 hours ago, 24fps said:

If this year was about winning then the off season would have played out much differently.  Unless it was about "winning and getting to the playoffs unexpectedly on a wholly inadequate budget in spite of the 'plan'" Or is it "the process"?  I still get confused when I try to think too deeply about the O's starting rotation.

For now, I advocate moving Gunnar far down in the lineup (cleanup, seriously?) and if he loses a couple of AB's especially against tough LHP's, no problem.  But to characterize this season as about getting to the playoffs simply isn't supported by the behavior of the people responsible for providing the resources to get that particular job done.

Maybe wining this season depended more on some young players improving than who we went out and spent money on. Most of the starters people wanted to sign this off-season have been injured or pitching poorly.

Gunnar has not taken the step forward that most expected.

Ugh I was gonna say that people on Twitter are saying Gunnar should be sent down. I came to OH to laugh at them together. Unfortunately, it seems some of those people are already here. 

Oh no, he went 0-5 and struck out in a clutch situation. Pull yourselves together. You sound ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Ugh I was gonna say that people on Twitter are saying Gunnar should be sent down. I came to OH to laugh at them together. Unfortunately, it seems some of those people are already here. 

Oh no, he went 0-5 and struck out in a clutch situation. Pull yourselves together. You sound ridiculous. 

0-5 and striking out in a clutch situation wouldn't be so noticable if he weren't hitting .176.  

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

You thought it would be different here?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yes, it’s definitely “less dumb” here. That’s for sure.

I'm more concerned that they do send him down for Westburg. I'd much rather see them starting together in Baltimore.

They really need to find a way to get him up here.

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And Ryan Mountcastle is now a 105 OPS+ bat first, first basemen.

Is this supposed to be a good argument?

It’s way better than your argument, IMO. The point is, Mountcastle struggled as a rookie but eventually came through it and had a solid season (114 OPS+).  Sometimes, you just need to learn at the major league level.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I'm more concerned that they do send him down for Westburg. I'd much rather see them starting together in Baltimore.

They really need to find a way to get him up here.

They aren’t going to send down Gunnar. They have the correct mentality for these young kids.

Now, if he still has awful numbers in another month or there is something else going on behind the scenes we don’t know about, maybe that changes. But as of now, it’s not a thought for the team.