Gunnar Henderson 2023

Just Regular

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It’s way better than your argument, IMO. The point is, Mountcastle struggled as a rookie but eventually came through it and had a solid season (114 OPS+).  Sometimes, you just need to learn at the major league level.  

You would think this would be obvious…

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Like .346 or so.

I agree his OBP is great, I've been touting that for awhile.  But at some point he's gotta come through with some actual hits.

Yes, great eye, but he could stand to be slightly more aggressive.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Like .346 or so.

I agree his OBP is great, I've been touting that for awhile.  But at some point he's gotta come through with some actual hits.

Then he should probably get experience against ML pitching. 

Just now, waroriole said:

Then he should probably get experience against ML pitching. 

Pretty sure he is and the results haven't been fantastic.

I believe he'll come around at some point but I also don't think being sent down is out of the question, especially if he continues this way for 2-3 more weeks.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pretty sure he is and the results haven't been fantastic.

I believe he'll come around at some point but I also don't think being sent down is out of the question, especially if he continues this way for 2-3 more weeks.  

You’d rather send him down than bench Frazier? Any talk of sending the #1 prospect in baseball to AAA, despite a .346 OBP, should be out of the question. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

You’d rather send him down than bench Frazier? Any talk of sending the #1 prospect in baseball to AAA, despite a .346 OBP, should be out of the question. 

I don't want to send him down, no.  I don't think anyone is going to get any joy out of sending Gunnar Henderson down to AAA.  

But I don't think we should ignore the reality that he's struggling to get hits, even if we want to prop up his OBP all day.  Like I said, if this continues for a few more weeks, it's a choice that needs to be looked at and considered.  

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

If it's any consolation it took Adley 40 games to have an OPS above .700 and it didn't stay above .700 until 45 games 

Nick Markakis OPS didn't remain above .700 until July 18th during his rookie season in 2006. I wouldn't send Gunnar down right now, but if he's still not hitting that ball in a few weeks then it might be the right move given the Orioles have prospects ready to play against MLB pitching.

21 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Why would you bench Frazier right now? And what would that have to do with Gunnar?

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nick Markakis OPS didn't remain above .700 until July 18th during his rookie season in 2006. I wouldn't send Gunnar down right now, but if he's still not hitting that ball in a few weeks then it might be the right move given the Orioles have prospects ready to play against MLB pitching.

We hope - Gunnar was knocking the walls down in Norfolk last year just like those guys are now. It's a different world when the advanced scouts break you down and the pitchers can execute. 

• Upvote 1

It’s good to remember that we’re still at a point in the season where two good days can raise your OPS by 57 points and two bad ones can drop it by 63 points.  Both those things happened to Gunnar just within the last four games.