The 2023 high water mark thread

Frobby

8 hours ago, Malike said:

Someone tell Ben that 99-59 is 40 games over .500! He said if we win tomorrow it will be the first time we're 40 games over .500.

I heard him say it will be the first time we're over 40 games over .500. That's a very subtle difference but it would be true. I could be wrong but that's what I recall.

It has truly been a most fantastical season.  Every minute of it...yes even the dropped ball by McKenna.  Looking forward to seeing playoff baseball.  And as the Orioles wrap up a 162 game season, let's remember to not be too hard on all those knuckleheads that don't believe in this team.

Not many here expected what we have seen.  But man, has this been fun.

Edited by foxfield

I think an argument can be made that winning the AL East, most years but especially this year, is at least equally if not more impressive than winning the WS. 

It’s not the ultimate goal, but it is a major accomplishment that will make this season a roaring success regardless of what happens in October. 

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think an argument can be made that winning the AL East, most years but especially this year, is at least equally if not more impressive than winning the WS. 

It’s not the ultimate goal, but it is a major accomplishment that will make this season a roaring success regardless of what happens in October. 

I agree. I know that I am an outlier, but I think division titles are more meaningful.

So much can happen in a 5 or 7 games series. If the Orioles were to win the World Series, I would be elated but I think it is clear that Atlanta is the best team this year, in a tier of their own above the Orioles and the Orioles are in the second tier with the Rangers, Rays, and Dodgers.

If the O's were to lose to one of those teams it wouldn't take away from a great season for me.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I agree. I know that I am an outlier, but I think division titles are more meaningful.

So much can happen in a 5 or 7 games series. If the Orioles were to win the World Series, I would be elated but I think it is clear that Atlanta is the best team this year, in a tier of their own above the Orioles and the Orioles are in the second tier with the Rangers, Rays, and Dodgers.

If the O's were to lose to one of those teams it wouldn't take away from a great season for me.

I completely agree. I think I’m more nervous about winning another game to clinch than I will be for the playoff games, for this precise reason.  I really want the division title. 

This is also officially the best team I’ve ever watched as a fan, as of win 99 last night. I e never watched a 100 win team before (hopefully) this one. Always been an Os fan but I was 7 in 1980 and the Orioles (and baseball in general) were not on my radar yet. 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

It has truly been a most fantastical season.  Every minute of it...yes even the dropped ball by McKenna.  Looking forward to seeing playoff baseball.  And as the Orioles wrap up a 162 game season, let's remember to not be too hard on all those knuckleheads that don't believe in this team.

Not many here expected what we have seen.  But man, has this been fun.

I know we're all "high" on the Orioles right now, but no, when McKenna dropped that ball and Bautista gave up the game winning home run, that was not a magical moment at all.

But it does go to show that sometimes, awful games or events can be a harbinger of good fortune and should be a lesson to us all to not get too caught up in an awful play or game, especially early in a season.