First Infielder Off the Ship

Bahama O's Fan

It will be the worst one Elias can move who brings back quality SP.  It could be Mateo, it could be Urias, it could be anyone.  I do not necessarily think this is the case, but an argument could be made for focusing early on Mateo and Urias in the hopes that they can be moved for quality SP.

And there is a lot that goes into making the call.  How many years of service do I get for said quality SP?  Is it a quality #3 or #4?  Or is it a #1 or #2?  I would prefer to not move guys we control for 6 years for pitching that will be here for only 2 years.  But what is the market.  The ideal situation is one of the front runners needs an INF who can play now but people don't give away arms that are ready on purpose.

But your opening line is incorrect.  We do not have too many infielders.  We have tremendous depth.  That is it's own problem, because as your line insinuates, you can't play them all.  So that capital is going to have to be reinvested...What we need is a favorable market.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Frazier in July  because he is on a one year contract.

If the Orioles are competing for a playoff spot and he’s doing what he’s been doing which is having good AB’s and playing a solid 2B, I don’t see it.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Norby.   His bat is good.  Defense at 2B suspect but good enough that a team would try him there.

I think the Orioles like Westburg more.

Norby is 22 (23 in June).  Not even on the 40 man roster and has 3 options left.   I don't know that the O's will be in any hurry to move him this year. JMO

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If the Orioles are competing for a playoff spot and he’s doing what he’s been doing which is having good AB’s and playing a solid 2B, I don’t see it.   

What is Frazier really doing.  He is 5 for his last 31.  All singles.  He had a good Boston series and has not hit much since.

• Upvote 2

We’ll have a clearer picture in July. As crazy as this sounds… we might need Mateo to play some OF sometimes. 

We’ll probably be looking to upgrade Vavra and McKenna if we are in it. 

If we’re making a trade, that means we’re in it, then I can’t see us subtracting from the MLB roster. So then Norby probably goes in a package deal for a SP. Probably one of Westburg/Ortiz too If we want something decent in return. 

28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

It will be the worst one Elias can move who brings back quality SP.  It could be Mateo, it could be Urias, it could be anyone.  I do not necessarily think this is the case, but an argument could be made for focusing early on Mateo and Urias in the hopes that they can be moved for quality SP.

And there is a lot that goes into making the call.  How many years of service do I get for said quality SP?  Is it a quality #3 or #4?  Or is it a #1 or #2?  I would prefer to not move guys we control for 6 years for pitching that will be here for only 2 years.  But what is the market.  The ideal situation is one of the front runners needs an INF who can play now but people don't give away arms that are ready on purpose.

But your opening line is incorrect.  We do not have too many infielders.  We have tremendous depth.  That is it's own problem, because as your line insinuates, you can't play them all.  So that capital is going to have to be reinvested...What we need is a favorable market.

If you offload meh you get meh in return. I want a #2 starter. That will take something quality.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agree.  I don’t think they signed him with the objective of trading him.  But, if the team is out of the race in July, I do expect they’d move him.  

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What is Frazier really doing.  He is 5 for his last 31.  All singles.  He had a good Boston series and has not hit much since.

He’s been having good AB’s and hitting into some bad luck.   He’s been making good contact.  If he’s playing well in July, I don’t think they move him.