Praising Hyde Thread 2023

Aristotelian

50 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I would feel more mature if I could better control my own emotions during a game! 😃

Emotions are allowed during and after a game. It's how you handle them that is direct proportion to maturity. I think you be all right.

2 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I would feel more mature if I could better control my own emotions during a game! 😃

I've learned to DVR every game and start watching it about 45 minutes into the game, after checking the score.  If it looks like something I want to see, I'll watch.  If not, I won't even start until I know there's something that I may have wanted to see.  If we get shut out with very few hits, I won't waste the time.  It keeps my emotion out of it.

I do the same thing with the Ravens.  

I hate watching bad baseball and bad football, as in, train wrecks.

That being said, I've had fun watching so many games this year.

5 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I've learned to DVR every game and start watching it about 45 minutes into the game, after checking the score.  If it looks like something I want to see, I'll watch.  If not, I won't even start until I know there's something that I may have wanted to see.  If we get shut out with very few hits, I won't waste the time.  It keeps my emotion out of it.

I do the same thing with the Ravens.  

I hate watching bad baseball and bad football, as in, train wrecks.

That being said, I've had fun watching so many games this year.

I don't mind watching the other guys play badly.

• 1 month later...

9/18 vs HOU. Loved the matchup strategy with Perez to close out the game. Should have been a cake walk but Urias made it interesting, forcing Cano to come in with Hyde pulling a double switch, ending up McCann at 1B and Kjerstad in that crazy LF. Fortunately Cano took care of business and got the K. Beautifully played by our Manager of the Year. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

9/18 vs HOU. Loved the matchup strategy with Perez to close out the game. Should have been a cake walk but Urias made it interesting, forcing Cano to come in with Hyde pulling a double switch, ending up McCann at 1B and Kjerstad in that crazy LF. Fortunately Cano took care of business and got the K. Beautifully played by our Manager of the Year. 

Was actually Ohearn that ended up in left. I was extremely happy Cano just immediately shut it down with 3 straight strikes. 

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Loved the matchup strategy with Perez to close out the game.

Absolutely. The “SaVe RuLe” gang must have loved that. 

The silver lining of losing your closer™️ is that it does give you a whole lot more flexibility in how you choose to deploy your guys. And the bottom line is that at present, with a one-run lead, I think Perez is a better choice to pitch to mega-power LHHs like Yordan and Tucker than Cano. Having Cano available to back him up is a nice safety net, and I was glad that it worked out perfectly. 

If the game thread is any indicator, there’s a lot of trepidation out there about Cionel Perez that seems to be left over from early spring. Since June 1, he’s pitched 30 innings with a 2.10 ERA and a 2.79 FIP. Lefties have a .334 OPS against him during that span. Pretty solid work.

The entire reason Hyde did the position changes aka the double shift, was so that he would be able to keep Cano in the game for the 10th inning if he needed him, as well as have a professional hitter hit in the DH spot rather than a pitcher.

Thankfully Cano came in and struck out his batter so we didn't have to worry about what happened next. But Brandon Hyde was prepared for it just in case.

• Upvote 1

WOW. Doing a Double Switch there was pretty smart. I didn't really understand how that works mechanically, so I had to read up on it. Apparently it's sort of a vestigial rule that is very seldom used anymore, since both leagues play with the DH Rule now. I guess the one situation where it comes into play is when you have to forfeit the DH. We did because we brought Kjerstad in as a position player after Hicks got hurt.

None of those decisions ended up factoring into the game really because we didn't need a 10th inning, and there wasn't much for the defense to do when Cano gets the K, but it was good practice as a demonstration of how you can use the rules to eke out every advantage just in case they tied it up. After a single and an out, that double switch would have mattered a lot in an 8-8 game.

Just smart baseball. He has a lot of experience being a coach in the NL, so I guess the Double Switch immediately comes to mind as a familiar managerial move.

• Upvote 1

I want to say Manager of the Year for Brandon Hyde, but I also want to wait until after the Playoffs to say it. Because I've seen this song and dance before with Buck Showalter. I admired Buck and I thought he was a great Manager. And then he made one boneheaded decision by not giving his dominant closer the ball in the playoffs which cost the Orioles the entire season.

Still a long ways to go before objectives and goals are accomplished.