Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

Just now, justD said:

I don't imagine he'll play much while up, but still incredibly happy for him.

If he does play, anxious to see if he's as smooth at SS in the majors, with the game sped up, as I've seen him be as a minor leaguer. 

I don't expect to see him play any SS while he's here unless Mateo or Henderson are not 100%.    Either one of them will get the SS not ahead of him.    Looks like he could play some 2B when a LHP is on the mound.

28 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Its serious, just so long as the Ohtani to market contingency is met.    It easily could not be.

Then Mike Elias and Adley Rutschman need to prove their team is an okay spot to spend a few months.

If BAL isn't on a no trade list, tell me what other Clubs or GM's have more means and motive to swing the acquisition.

It seems to me Ohtani is a human who loves the game enough to have left huge money on the table to get to play in the world's best league sooner rather than later, and he's about to turn 29.

Of course he'll spend every October of his 30's in the tournament with LAD or equivalent.    I'm only talking about the Peak Ohtani gracing the game this season on a cost certain 1-year deal.

I guess Arte might want to see him with the Dodgers sooner rather than later...really no telling.

Mostly just funning as its more likely he will drag LAA within range of AL6 and its moot.

Please forgive me. I may be revealing my age a bit (I'm in my 40's now). I don't mean this as disrespect toward, but I don't really know that I understand any of the bolded statements.

1) This is not Elias and Rutschman's team in terms of their being any equivalence of their roles or positions within the franchise. That logic definitely works in the NBA and maybe for some franchises in the NFL where star players have much more say in terms of personnel. They may even be consulted about acquisitions. Baseball however does not work like that. There is NO WAY that Elias consults Adley about any moves that he makes. Like a ZERO percent chance.

2) When you speak of "means" and "motive" I am VERY confused. Our owner Mr. Evil Angelos has postulated publicly that the franchise is among the poorest in the sport and possible the poorest. Look at our spending compared to other "small market" teams like the Rays, Guardians, Reds, DBacks, etc. We are well below. So, I'm going to have to believe him until proven otherwise, meaning we do not have the means or at least aren't willing to spend it more accurately. If we are talking about prospects/assets being means, WHY would we spend years accumulating this stockpile only to give most of it away for 1/2 years of increasing our postseason odds slightly? By the time we make all the suggested changes and bring up Kjerstad and Holiday and the like and use them to replace what we have now; even after adding Ohtani, we may only be slightly better..... Then there is the pitching issue. Last time that I checked, Ohtani, usually pitches every 5/6 days. With the rest of our rotation being what it is, do you see that rotation being a World Series favorite? I don't.

3) And then there's the motive part of the post. What motive would Elias have, after being so patient for so LONG, and enduring all of the agony of loosing for badly for 5 years, turn around and give it all away for a shot to win once, maybe twice? All logic suggest that he is attempting to build something over the long haul. No?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Hmm two different second basemen. It's a bold strategy.

In all seriousness, I'm excited Ortiz is here.

I feel like Urias (who has been our hottest hitter over the past week and has a .802 OPS) and Mateo (who has been our hottest hitter this season and has a 1.049 OPS) both need to be in the lineup every day right now. I hope this means Frazier is moved to more of a bench role.

Whoops...Ortiz at 3b! Looks like it's too late to change. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Ortiz for Vavra is not temporary if Ortiz hits.

What role does he play if he is up for good? We've got red hot Mateo SS, gold glover Urias 2B/3B hitting, and top prospect Gunnar 3B/SS. Then $8M Frazier to play wherever. Absent a trade I don't see him getting the chance to hit except maybe vs some LHP. Do we really want him up to play occasional RF like Vavra? 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

What role does he play if he is up for good? We've got red hot Mateo SS, gold glover Urias 2B/3B hitting, and top prospect Gunnar 3B/SS. Then $8M Frazier to play wherever. Absent a trade I don't see him getting the chance to hit except maybe vs some LHP. Do we really want him up to play occasional RF like Vavra? 

Personally I'm fine with Ortiz as a UTIL IF until the team decides Frazier should move to perma-bench. This is a team that wants to win and having a guy like Ortiz on the bench or in a platoon role is a great luxury to have. 

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Our next 3 games are vs. LHP.  Ortiz has some strong splits against LHP.  That's where Gunnar or Frazier struggle.  I hope we see Ortiz at 2B, Mateo at SS, and Urias at 3B the next 3 games.  

I don't think Gunnar is going to be benched all three games, but I do think we'll see at least two out of three games this combination. I'm just hoping Ortiz is not treated like Stowers when it comes to right-handers. He's a better player all around than Frazier. Hopefully Frazier moves into Vavra's role as 26th man, but I would bet on it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

You sure?  

Ortiz career OPS at AAA is 0.937.  Westburg's is .886.  And Ortiz has the better glove by just about all accounts.

Again the 40-man may have been a consideration but you can easily make the case that Ortiz is the better prospect anyway.

I have Ortiz over Westburg now mainly because of the big defensive advantage Ortiz brings. I do think Westburg brings more offensively when it comes to power, but Ortiz is a solid gap to gap guy who will get into one occasionally.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Gunnar is going to be benched all three games, but I do think we'll see at least two out of three games this combination. I'm just hoping Ortiz is not treated like Stowers when it comes to right-handers. He's a better player all around than Frazier. Hopefully Frazier moves into Vavra's role as 26th man, but I would bet on it.

Ortiz was .980 and .790 against LHP and RHP respectively last year.   Might not be that much but his plate discipline was also stronger against LHP  (15 walks 18 K's in 117 PA).     It will be interesting to see how much he plays against LHP.   I doubt we see him start at all against RHP unless he tears the cover off of the ball from the get go.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The point that you raise is a very valid one! We have too many guys and limited spots. And I don't necessarily disagree with your pecking order.

The problem with this though is that you can't keep the guys in the Minors forever. Ortiz is going to be 25 this year. Keeping him in AAA for the entire season or most of it would be irresponsible and mismanagement of an organizational asset.

If he or Westburg/Cowser/Norby are deemed not to be able to contribute this year and help us win, then they need to be moved for pieces that can achieve this objective. I don't think we can afford any longer to be in a holding pattern.