A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

2 hours ago, geschinger said:

I think it is too early to identify potential additions at this point.  The type of move (if Elias is allowed to spend)  I would expect if the team is in a similar position in July that they are in now would be to target decent but expensive pitchers at the end of their contracts or with an additional year or two left max.  

It makes little sense to both give up a big haul and then have to sign a pitcher to what is almost certainly going to end up requiring a contract that has little chance of being anything other than a huge mistake.  If the haul required to make the trade is less because it is essentially a salary dump, then having them for only a short time is a reasonable use of resources.

Thank God we have a frugal owner who does not want to waste money.  It's all about ROI not winning for Angelos.  I can't wait to cheer on the balance sheet this year.  If Angelos was in a major market, media treatment of him would be savage.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Grayson has a year like Cease had last year, I would consider him a success beyond what I hoped for.  When was the last time an O's pitcher had a year like that?  Bedard and before that Mussina?  That's 2 seasons in 30 years.

EXACTLY! That's what I would say to people who want to punt making serious moves this season in order "to let it play out". We should let Grayson develop, but we can expect him to be our #1 this season. And there is nobody on the staff who has the talent/capability/potential ANYWHERE close to him.

24 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Thank God we have a frugal owner who does not want to waste money.  It's all about ROI not winning for Angelos.  I can't wait to cheer on the balance sheet this year.  If Angelos was in a major market, media treatment of him would be savage.

Winning and and getting a good ROI on the players one signs go hand in hand.  Except for a couple of franchises that have unlimited budgets, teams don't win by piling up bad contracts on their roster.  

I want and still hope the Orioles will ramp up their payroll to what it was in the mid 2010s which is plenty to contend / win.  I don't want to see them reach that with low probability of success contracts as they aren't winning if a large chunk of their payroll is tied up with underperforming or injured players.

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’ve never thought of him as more than a mid rotation guy. Heavily dependent on the success of his CH. Without it he’s mediocre. 

And Superman is just a normal guy on Krypton.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

Sure, if you're in the mix like the O's are, you obviously have to look at the competitive landscape. But what I'm saying is there's a point that perennial contenders reach when they have to look at how exactly they're coming up short and decide what they're willing to sacrifice in order to get over that hump. I don't think we're there yet. Nothing needs to be forced right now.

You have to start turning over this poor starting pitching rotation if we want to win a World Series. Out of the current five, I would take Wells (5) and GROD (3) as a rotation that can win a World Series. I do not believe it would cost a ton to get Eduardo Rodriquez! After his issues last year, Detroit I think would be happy to get rid of his contract. They are going nowhere fast. If they want major league ready players maybe we could do Bradish, Urias, and Stowers. That’s three starters for them! We get a #2/3 starter. Ortiz or Westburg comes up! Now a future rotation looks a lot better:

1. ??

2. ERod

3. Grod

4. Means

5. Wells

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Obviously we don't know but this is a fan website, speculation is what we specialize in.

I like to have at least some basis on which to speculate.  

I do remember that during the scandal about the Cardinals exec/scout who got into the Houston database, someone published a bunch of messages having to do with trade discussions Houston had with the Orioles about Bud Norris. They showed that the discussions went back about two months before the trade was consummated, if I recall.  So, I do think discussions often do happen in the first half of the season, even if nothing gets done until later.  

Edit: the discussions apparently preceded June 26, according to this article.

Edited by Frobby