A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, I looked at the rankings after I posted that.  I didn't realize Williams was that high.  I do really like him though and if we had to throw in more to get him I think it would be worth it.

Would you be willing to give up Coswer for him? Or either Westburg or Ortiz and Norby? What if they wanted one of those infielders plus Kjerstad?

37 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think there are lot more realistic options then guys like Cease.  The Pirates although they are playing well to start the season have been in a bit of a slump.  If they drop out of race Mitch Keller would be a guy that seems to be coming on the last year plus.  He has 2 plus years left of control which would be more then rental but not cost as much as a guy like Cease.  The Pirates have extended a few guys but not Keller as of yet.  The Pirates are still probably 2 years away from really competing and by then Keller would be a free agent. I think we are 2 years ahead of them on rebuild and have more pieces then they do in minors.   The Pirates traded Cole in a similar situation with two years left to try and speed up there rebuild although it didn’t work.  Keller’s stuff isn’t Cole type but is still very good.  Since last June his ERA in 30 starts is under 3 with whip at 1.23.  

Cease value seems to be falling. He had last year's super dominant season, but what else has he done? Plus, with the way he has pitched this year (thus far) many are beginning to question was last year just a one off, career year?

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Would you be willing to give up Coswer for him? Or either Westburg or Ortiz and Norby? What if they wanted one of those infielders plus Kjerstad?

I wouldn't give up Cowser because our surplus is in the IF not OF.  I am not a GM but I don't think he is worth any 2 of the guys you mentioned.  1 of these guys and someone in our 10-15 range like Wagner or Beavers seems more fair. 

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

I wouldn't give up Cowser because our surplus is in the IF not OF.  I am not a GM but I don't think he is worth any 2 of the guys you mentioned.  1 of these guys and someone in our 10-15 range like Wagner or Beavers seems more fair. 

You may have a point. Your price tag may be a little more realistic? I know he and Cowser are similarly ranked top 40 prospects, so there is no way we can do like a fringe top 100 guy plus another guy outside of the top 100.

But either way, I not that interested. If we are going to trade for pitching, I would much rather give up a few of the guys from our excess for an IS as opposed to a MIGHT BE. If anything these last couple of series have proven further to me that are ready to win now. I don't want to keep passing up present opportunities for future possibilities. In sports, you can never really be certain about what tomorrow might bring given factors like injuries and underperformance. 

Fun times in Miami as Eury Perez time has arrived.

Roster Resource forecasting Cabrera, Perez, Alcantara, Garrett and Luzardo next five games.

Trevor Rogers went down with a biceps strain 4 turns along and is out until perhaps June.

Jean Segura with a 24 OPS+ a starting infielder.    Joey Wendle with a -18 OPS+ starting at shortstop this week.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

E Rod is pitching like an Ace.  What would it take to get him?  I assume he is planning on opting out next year, trade and extend?

The Tigers are closer to 1st place than the Orioles are right now so I wouldn't think he's available. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

The Tigers are closer to 1st place than the Orioles are right now so I wouldn't think he's available. 

Omg the central is bad.  Has a last place team in one division ever finished with a better record than the best team in one of the other two divisions?  Currently that’s the case - wild 

I think Twins will win the division by a wide margin. 

Edited by emmett16

29 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Omg the central is bad.  Has a last place team in one division ever finished with a better record than the best team in one of the other two divisions?  Currently that’s the case - wild 

I think Twins will win the division by a wide margin. 

I don't believe so, but whenever we talk about weak divisions, I'm always reminded of the 2006 Cardinals who despite winning just 83 games won the World Series. In that year, for instance, the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Giants all had 76 wins at the bottom of the NL West. It's a different league, but the Mariners were last place in the AL West that year (albeit with just 4 teams) and were 78-84 so that would be just 5 games back of the World Series winning Cardinals.  

EDIT: The closest, I can find is the 2005 season when the Padres won the NL West with a 82-80 record and the Nationals were last in the NL East at 81-81. 

Edited by jamalshw
Adding information
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Fun times in Miami as Eury Perez time has arrived.

Roster Resource forecasting Cabrera, Perez, Alcantara, Garrett and Luzardo next five games.

Trevor Rogers went down with a biceps strain 4 turns along and is out until perhaps June.

Jean Segura with a 24 OPS+ a starting infielder.    Joey Wendle with a -18 OPS+ starting at shortstop this week.

Holy cow I didn't even know an OPS+ could go below zero.  That's kind of amazing.

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I don't believe so, but whenever we talk about weak divisions, I'm always reminded of the 2006 Cardinals who despite winning just 83 games won the World Series. In that year, for instance, the Rockies, Diamondbacks and Giants all had 76 wins at the bottom of the NL West. It's a different league, but the Mariners were last place in the AL West that year (albeit with just 4 teams) and were 78-84 so that would be just 5 games back of the World Series winning Cardinals.  

EDIT: The closest, I can find is the 2005 season when the Padres won the NL West with a 82-80 record and the Nationals were last in the NL East at 81-81. 

With each passing day its becoming more likely that all three WC teams come from the ALE.  As of today that's how it looks, and the first team OUT of the playoffs is NYY, currently the last place team in the ALE.  They have a full game on the LAA. Yanks would be in first place in the ALC, and only 2 games out of first in the ALW.

This is why a more balanced schedule was important.  We have to have a schedule more similar to the Guardians/Mariners et al, in order for the WC race to be 'fair'.  The division race is already ridiculous as it is.