I was worried about our starting rotation

Baltimorecuse

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I think Kremer’s a lock too. 

Not if he has a shaky month. He’s not there yet. I don’t agree he’s far off from one but he’s stuff isn’t so overwhelming that if he is looking very hittable that he could find himself left off.

That thing is though, he has a really good history against Houston and if that is who we play, that is a guy you likely want out there.

Matchups are of course going to be so crucial to this.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be surprised but there are going to be guys left off because we just don’t need as many starters or pitchers in general. Matchups, how guys are pitching, etc..will determine things.

Also, IP could come into play especially for GRod.

Flaherty is the guy I want pitching well. We need his ability to miss bats and get Ks in the playoffs.  Need him pitching well. His upside on the mound is top 3 in our current rotation.

G Rod is pitching in the playoffs, deal with it.  Elias,has never said anything about anyone being shut down.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

G Rod is pitching in the playoffs, deal with it.  Elias,has never said anything about anyone being shut down.

Deal with it?  What is that even supposed to mean? Just an odd thing to say.

I’m guessing if GRod sees a velo drop and his mechanics fall off, Elias isn’t going to jeopardize his future. 

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The six incumbents plus John Means - just as a thought exercise, who do you think will be the priority plays for the Tampa series.

Its 2 weeks away, and we now have a view of Flaherty's return spot.     Without any tweaks, it looks like it lines up

D'Backs - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Angels - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Red Sox - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Cardinals - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Rays - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty, Grayson

Means throws tonight on an Orioles off day between Gibson and Irvin.     Fenway and opening up the Tampa showdown would be immediate high leverage on Means if the Irvin slot is the play, and Gibson endures.

As always flying East there is an off day between Angels and Red Sox.     I'd probably think about skipping the 6th starter and letting Bradish open the Boston series.      That would move him into the Tampa opener, and let it cycle around to Kremer again before the Sunday finale.

I believe good chance we'll see full October tactics on both sides the Tampa series.     Inefficient starters won't get much rope.

I wouldn't be surprised now to see Means take Gibson's spot. Gibson really didn't help himself with three stinkers in his last four. I just don't see how he can be trusted with a playoff start.

Mark the Tampa series on your calendar, that is going to be a fun one. 

I would like to see the O's drop the strict 6 man rotation and instead have a "five days of rest for Kramer, Bradish and GRod" rotation.  Depending on when we get days off, sometimes that will mean a six man rotation and sometimes it will mean a five man rotation.  

The problem with a strict 6 man rotation is that we have three good starters and three mediocre ones, so you get a mediocre starter 50 percent of the time.  I understand that we want to go easy on our young starters' arms, so that's why we should prioritize making sure that our three "aces" get enough rest.  Making sure that Flaherty, Irvin and (especially) Gibson get regular starts should not be a priority.  

11 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I would like to see the O's drop the strict 6 man rotation and instead have a "five days of rest for Kramer, Bradish and GRod" rotation.  Depending on when we get days off, sometimes that will mean a six man rotation and sometimes it will mean a five man rotation.  

The problem with a strict 6 man rotation is that we have three good starters and three mediocre ones, so you get a mediocre starter 50 percent of the time.  I understand that we want to go easy on our young starters' arms, so that's why we should prioritize making sure that our three "aces" get enough rest.  Making sure that Flaherty, Irvin and (especially) Gibson get regular starts should not be a priority.  

They’re sticking with the 6 man. Apart from Gibson the staff has pitched really well since moving to it. 

46 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't think it's about giving them regular starts, it's about (1) keeping the top three fresh for the playoffs and (2) identifying who has the hot hand for the 4th spot. And don't forget Means. I think we will see one guy moved to the bullpen when Means comes back but keep going with six. Gibson has been the worst but then again he eats the most innings and that keeps the bullpen healthy, which is also a priority without Bautista. 

• Gibson's 6.28 ERA in 9 starts since the all-star break has me assuming he's done pitching effectively for the year. 
  • Means still hasn't shown enough to say he's ready to be put in the rotation. Pitching 6 innings in Norfolk would instill more confidence.
  • Irvin has pitched well enough to be inserted back in the rotation full time, even replacing Gibson who can move to the pen.
  • Kremer, Rodriguez and Bradish are my top 3 at the moment with Flaherty and Irvin batting for the coveted 4/5 spot.
  • Gibson is single handedly ruining the O's plans to go with a 6 man rotation with his ineffectiveness.

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:
  • Gibson's 6.28 ERA in 9 starts since the all-star break has me assuming he's done pitching effectively for the year. 
  • Means still hasn't shown enough to say he's ready to be put in the rotation. Pitching 6 innings in Norfolk would instill more confidence.
  • Irvin has pitched well enough to be inserted back in the rotation full time, even replacing Gibson who can move to the pen.
  • Kremer, Rodriguez and Bradish are my top 3 at the moment with Flaherty and Irvin batting for the coveted 4/5 spot.
  • Gibson is single handedly ruining the O's plans to go with a 6 man rotation with his ineffectiveness.

Means has shown enough at AAA.   Time to bring him up when his turn comes up.

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2023 at 11:59 AM, MCO'sFan said:

If Gibson is on the postseason roster and I hope not, the only way he should be used is to save the bullpen if a game gets out of hand early. He is exactly who we thought he was going to be. An innings eater with a +5 ERA. That's not what you need in the playoffs. That game yesterday was one of the most frustrating games of the year. No way Gibson or Voth should be on the postseason roster. 

Something that I had not realized until I looked it up a moment ago: Kyle Gibson has never started a playoff game. Ever. It wasn't just that the Phillies pulled him from the rotation last year; he never started in the postseason for the Twins either. He pitched one playoff inning for the Twins against the Yankees. It was the seventh inning of Game 1 of the 2019 ALDS which went: walk, walk, strikeout, walk, fly out, 3-run double, fly out. He turned a 7-4 deficit into a 10-4 deficit.

So for all the talk about veteranosity, Gibby has the same number of postseason starts as GRod.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

Something that I had not realized until I looked it up a moment ago: Kyle Gibson has never started a playoff game. Ever. It wasn't just that the Phillies pulled him from the rotation last year; he never started in the postseason for the Twins either. He pitched one playoff inning for the Twins against the Yankees. It was the seventh inning of Game 1 of the 2019 ALDS which went: walk, walk, strikeout, walk, fly out, 3-run double, fly out. He turned a 7-4 deficit into a 10-4 deficit.

So for all the talk about veteranosity, Gibby has the same number of postseason starts as GRod.

LOL 

This is the point I've been making about Gibson. He has a long history of fading down the stretch in the second half. This isn't new for him. It's why he's been the target of my posts on what to do with Means.