Stowers optioned, Gillaspie up

SteveA

41 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Is there a limit now on how many times you can send a player up and down in one season?

"Players may only be optioned five times per season; after that, it requires outright assignment waivers to assign the player to the Minor Leagues."

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

I wanted the guy to get a longer leash, but he didn't force anybody's hands.  With Urias out, then Ortiz makes more sense for the roster.

I had a feeling this move was coming. I would probably give Stowers some more time if it was my decision, but the Orioles are competing for the playoffs and Stowers did nothing to claim his spot on the 26 man roster.

Plus Mullins, Santander and Hays are all playing well this year and unless there's an injury there's not going to be many at bats for Stowers to go around. I"m still pulling for him and hope Stowers gets another shot.

18 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I had a feeling this move was coming. I would probably give Stowers some more time if it was my decision, but the Orioles are competing for the playoffs and Stowers did nothing to claim his spot on the 26 man roster.

Plus Mullins, Santander and Hays are all playing well this year and unless there's an injury there's not going to be many at bats for Stowers to go around. I"m still pulling for him and hope Stowers gets another shot.

He'll be back.  None of this is unusual.  It's actually far rarer that a rookie come up and make a seamless transition to the big leagues.  It's why building your roster around a bunch of rookies is probably not the best idea.

• Upvote 2

IMO the decision to demote Stowers should never have been about how the team viewed him overall. He's simply a player that is not producing, and the O's need players to add value on their pursuit of the postseason, not take value away

12 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

IMO the decision to demote Stowers should never have been about how the team viewed him overall. He's simply a player that is not producing, and the O's need players to add value on their pursuit of the postseason, not take value away

The bolded part above made me think, why not "formalize" the Norfolk shuttle, have ME take it out of Hyde's hands, so to speak. I'm of the opinion Hyde sets the lineup mostly, manages by his gut, plays favorites, and wants to keep almost everyone happy. We get 5 cracks to burn an Option so let's fully utilize them. Only 1 of Vavra/Ortiz here at any given time, same with O'Hearn/Diaz. same with Stowers/Cowser. I know Westburg is deserving but until one of Vavra-Urias-Mateo-Frazier is moved he is in a holding pattern. Only folks NOT in the rotation are Adley and Mullins and anyone WITHOUT OPTIONS.  In the BP pick 2 short guys and 2 longer guys and rotate them as well based on performance and health. I would even include Bautista and Cano in the mix along with Akin, Baumann, Zim. Same thing with the SPs, stumble over 2 starts (Grayson excluded), Irvin comes up. Whoever is up gets 2 weeks to show value or else goes back down. Show value, you get to stay until you don't. Establish a culture of urgency, that the Team's performance is foremost. Basically, 1 move per month per player in each group over June-Sept.

6 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

The bolded part above made me think, why not "formalize" the Norfolk shuttle, have ME take it out of Hyde's hands, so to speak. I'm of the opinion Hyde sets the lineup mostly, manages by his gut, plays favorites, and wants to keep almost everyone happy. We get 5 cracks to burn an Option so let's fully utilize them. Only 1 of Vavra/Ortiz here at any given time, same with O'Hearn/Diaz. same with Stowers/Cowser. I know Westburg is deserving but until one of Vavra-Urias-Mateo-Frazier is moved he is in a holding pattern. Only folks NOT in the rotation are Adley and Mullins and anyone WITHOUT OPTIONS.  In the BP pick 2 short guys and 2 longer guys and rotate them as well based on performance and health. I would even include Bautista and Cano in the mix along with Akin, Baumann, Zim. Same thing with the SPs, stumble over 2 starts (Grayson excluded), Irvin comes up. Whoever is up gets 2 weeks to show value or else goes back down. Show value, you get to stay until you don't. Establish a culture of urgency, that the Team's performance is foremost. Basically, 1 move per month per player in each group over June-Sept.

Nice theory. Would have to think that it could be muddled by injuries and ineffective performances. Especially on the pitching staff. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

Nice theory. Would have to think that it could be muddled by injuries and ineffective performances. Especially on the pitching staff. 

Absolutely, maybe Perez finds the Ubaldo pothole. We can't option Perez, Coulombe, Voth, for sure. Not sure on Givens, Tate when they are ready, maybe not Gibson either. After the ASB we will know if ME is serious about this year's team or not, by his actions or inaction. With all the drama here re: Stowers not getting a fair shot (guilty), I don't disagree with sending him down. I think it would be a good idea to establish the same sense of urgency under anyone who can be sent down (does Mounty have options).