Monday, May 15: Grayson Rodriguez vs Shohei Ohtani

SteveA

Ohtani has given up five earned runs but only 4 hits and a BB. So his pitch count is low and he can probably pitch through the 7th--or more if they want to give him the chance for the cycle.

Only 85 pitches after six complete innings.

Edited by LA2

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Ohtani has given up five earned runs but only 4 hits and a BB. So his pitch count is low and he can probably pitch through the 7th--or more if they want to give him the chance for the cycle (or switch him to DH, I suppose).

Isn’t he basically already the DH?  They can’t have 10 hitters. 

20 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

If all you care about in sports is the bottom line, you're going to end up disappointed the vast majority of the time. It's a zero-sum game, and there's only one winner at the end of the day. Plus in baseball, there are 162 opportunities to get your ass kicked.

Sometimes it's difficult to recognize that and find the silver lining, but it's not even remotely challenging right now. If you continue to gravitate toward relentless pessimism and broadcast it to everyone else, I question why you even do this entirely optional activity of watching sports.

Well thanks for your input, Sunshine?

I’ll steer my own fandom, thanks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yossarian said:

For those keeping score - Mountacstle is 0 for his last 10 ABs and 6 of his last 7 trips to the plate have been Ks.

Mountcastle is one of the most hot/cold hitters I can remember in Orioles history. When Mountcastle  is seeing the ball he's absolute fire and then there's the current version we're seeing tonight. 🥶

Just now, Jagwar said:

Don't the Angels basically give up the DH by having Ohtani hit?

I believe there is a rule that he stays in as DH automatically when he’s done pitching. So he’s kinda both at the same time. Either way there’s no additional move to make. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

Don't the Angels basically give up the DH by having Ohtani hit?

They changed the rule either this year or last, to allow Ohtani to DH his own starts and not lose the DH.  I believe it requires the pitcher to actually start, and the same pitcher to actually bat, for it to count.  So you can't do the Earl Weaver shenanigans where you declare the pitcher the DH, and then immediately PH him.