Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I was not suggesting the O's acquire him / them. That would mortgage the future exactly as you say. I was expressing my doubt that there's anyone with enough talent to acquire both Ohtani and Trout.

Trout?  Who is talking about getting Trout?

He's injured, extremely expensive and has no trade protection.

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think the chances are 0

The thing is, you need to be a team that needs offense and pitching.

Im not saying his bat isn’t helpful but the question is, can you obtain a guy like  Bellinger and a pitcher like Gioloto for less than Othani?  I bet you can.

He is obviously a difference maker but I’m not paying a lot for any rental.

And I’m not sure the Os need offense that isn’t already in the organization.

I wouldn't give up a ton for a rental. Ohtani has said many times that what he wants is to play on the West Coast, play for a contending team, and have some privacy. I'm not sure where he ends up, but if that is what he wants, that excludes a lot of teams if he means what he keeps saying.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I wouldn't give up a ton for a rental. Ohtani has said many times that what he wants is to play on the West Coast, play for a contending team, and have some privacy. I'm not sure where he ends up, but if that is what he wants, that excludes a lot of teams if he means what he keeps saying.

Thank god he won't be on the Mets or Yankees then. Although talk radio here keeps citing the fact that the Mets GM is apparently a friend and responsible for bringing him to the Angels in the first place. Buck alludes to the Baseball Gods--Wd he know how to manage one in the flesh?

I would overpay.... He would give us a advantage not just with his talent but a rules advantage because having him allows a team to carry 13 pitchers plus him.... He would be a perfect addison so we could go to a 6 man staff and limit innings for our starters and still keep a 8 man bullpen if needed.... Cowser and Hall and a couple lower level prospect to sweeten the deal should be more than enough and our future is still in great shape..... He really want to win so we could gain a advantage on signing him after we win the WS... 😎  Advantage Advantage Advantage we need all we can get 😎  8 years for 400 million .... 

2 hours ago, PsychoBird68 said:

I would overpay.... He would give us a advantage not just with his talent but a rules advantage because having him allows a team to carry 13 pitchers plus him.... He would be a perfect addison so we could go to a 6 man staff and limit innings for our starters and still keep a 8 man bullpen if needed.... Cowser and Hall and a couple lower level prospect to sweeten the deal should be more than enough and our future is still in great shape..... He really want to win so we could gain a advantage on signing him after we win the WS... 😎  Advantage Advantage Advantage we need all we can get 😎  8 years for 400 million .... 

I think the reality is whether the Orioles will make such a move. The Orioles ownership stated they are using the Rays approach as a model. The question is would the Rays give up 3-5 players that include a number of blue chip guys for a half a season? The resounding answer is no! Giving up 15-25 years of team control is not something that a team using that approach wants to sacrifice because the long term implications are too much for the organization to recover from. 

Second,  the guy wants to play on the west coast and he’s been outspoken about it.

Third, if you think John Angelos is agreeing to pay $400 million to a free agent I’ll have some of what you are smoking. There is zero chance

10 hours ago, bluedog said:

I was not suggesting the O's acquire him / them. That would mortgage the future exactly as you say. I was expressing my doubt that there's anyone with enough talent to acquire both Ohtani and Trout.

The Dodgers have the talent to make it happen IMO. Cartaya (C), Busch (2B/OF), Rushing (C), Pages (C), Sheehan (RHP),  Pepiot (RHP), and Frasso (RHP) are all top 100 prospects. They also have guys like Vargas (1B/3B/2B) and Lux who are still young (prospectish) and have some shine, even though they haven't broken out yet at the MLB level.  

The Angels only have three prospects in the top 100, and two of them are catchers.  So I'd say something like Bush, Pepiot, and Frasso for Ohtani and Drury (salary dump) might be enough to get it done. And then the Dodgers can sign him to a long term deal as part of the trade. 

Anyone who wants Ohtani is going to have to give up a package like the Padres gave for Jaun Soto last year. But since his contract is up and he's a rental, that could lower what the Angels can get.

At the same time, the Angels Owner still doesn't want to trade him so that might balance it back to the Padres Soto type of package. It would have to be an offer the owner couldn't refuse for anyone to get Ohtani by the trade deadline. The Angels owner does not think strategic in how to build a winning franchise. He just wants the star power that guys like Trout and Ohtani provide.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

That would be awfully tough to pull off with the amount of money Rendon is owed.  What were they thinking with that contract?

I think it was owner tampering.

One of Boras' go to moves is to try and bypass the GM and take things to the owner.

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

That would be awfully tough to pull off with the amount of money Rendon is owed.  What were they thinking with that contract?

Stars and Scrubs.     Rendon was right there with Soto in October 2019, flashing his "I'm better than you" talent to the world's best Dodgers and Astros pitchers.

These Angels teams of Ohtani's entry to US ball are an interesting case of how Replacement Level is a theoretical construct, but in reality it is not the same for every team.    The stat I heard over the offseason that still boggles my mind - in 2022, the LAA OPS's from lineup positions 6-9 were: 531, 546, 566, 566.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=LAA&year=2022#lineu

Os are not, should not, will not trade for or sign Ohtani. 

Getting him in a trade would feel a little bit like when we got Reggie Jackson which in a different world and time was shocking to me as an Os fan. 

Not in any way comparing the two, just how improbable and incongruous it was to see him in an Os hat 

21BEC9A0-C12C-4DA7-B23E-A0322EE6F8B5.jpeg