Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

Couple thought:

a. I don’t think it is the Yankees we would be competing against here, it’s the Dodgers and they have a great farm system.

b. Whether or not it is the right thing to do, if Elias could get Ohtani without giving up major league pieces, that would have to make the Orioles the odds on favorite to win the ALCS. Right?

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Not saying they should do it, but if they did, it would probably take something like this

SS Ortiz, C Basallo, 1B Mountcastle, LHP Hall

add Kjerstad or Mayo and they might at least make a counter offer and not hang up the phone. 

2 minutes ago, Winter said:

add Kjerstad or Mayo and they might at least make a counter offer and not hang up the phone. 

I dont think the Orioles go that high; nor would the Dodgers do the equivalent. The Angels will try to push it that high, but when no one meets them there, they will have to come back down and consider the offers

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I dont think the Orioles go that high; nor would the Dodgers do the equivalent. The Angels will try to push it that high, but when no one meets them there, they will have to come back down and consider the offers

That would be the case if the Angels fall in the standings over the next couple days, if they win a few more games they will just hold him if the offer is over the top imo

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Elis: "Y'all thinking about trading Ohtani yet?"

Angels: "Nah"

That's what this report is.

I'd imagine they see Elias as having everything they want from an Ohtani trade, but Elias wont do it (imo)

9 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I can actually see this happening. It makes a lot of sense for us. Because of the rental aspect we would be getting him at a bargain. Plus it’s not an insane idea that we sign him. This is the type of move the Dodgers make, but Moreno is not sending Ohtani to the Dodgers.

Almost every sentence in this post is actually a reason they won’t do this.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Winter said:

nor would i, just stating from the Angels front office point of view, overpay or they hold him. 

Very doubtful.  Holding him results in a comp draft pick.  Playoff chances exist, but aren't likely.  Any fan complaints they hear about trading him would pale in comparison to hearing the complaints for years about not getting better than one comp pick for him.

• Upvote 1

Remember, that Babe Ruth was born in Baltimore and began his baseball career as a Baltimore Oriole. Shohei Ohtani is often said to be our generation's Babe Ruth. If the Orioles were to acquire him, it would be like correcting the mistake of selling his contract to the Red Sox, and righting a wrong that has been 109 years in the making.

Not gonna lie, while I'm usually pretty level headed about most things with the Orioles, when it comes to the remote possibility of getting Shohei Ohtani on the team, I'm much more of a dreamer and excitable... I totally put the fan goggles on.