Yankees Series

Moose Milligan

2 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

Huge series. A lot bigger than just a basic 3 game set in May. This is a series to let NYY and the rest of MLB that were here and we’re not going anywhere. Go right into the Bronx and punch them in the mouth. 

It feels like a playoff series. I'm excited!

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be honest, this is something of a “house money” series so far as I’m concerned.  At the outset of the road trip, I would have been satisfied with 3-3, and we already can’t do worse than that.  The only thing running counter to that is that the Yankees also won their games last weekend, so they could tie us with a sweep.  That said, of course I’m greedy and want to win all three.  But are they “must win” games?  Not really.

Except that the head-to-head record matters now. If the Orioles get swept and the Yankees "tie" us in the standings, functionally the Yankees are ahead. I don't think I could handle it if the Orioles and the Yankees ended the year with the same record and they made the playoffs and we didn't, or they got home games and we didn't. 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Looking forward to your findings.

Here’s what I came up with.  From 2016-23, the average AL team has allowed 1,343 homers, whereas the Orioles have allowed 1,598, about 19% worse than average.  Judge hits .303 homers per game against the league as a hole, but .411 homers per game against the O’s.  .411/.303 = 1.356, meaning we do 35.6% worse than average against Judge.   So, he has beat up on us to a great extent than the league as a whole has, 35.6% to 19.0%.  But it’s all been pretty terrible.   

Since the wall got moved, we’ve been almost exactly League average in allowing homers.  227 allowed over 2022-23 compared to league average 228. League-wide, homers are up about 11-12% this year after a big drop last year.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Except that the head-to-head record matters now. If the Orioles get swept and the Yankees "tie" us in the standings, functionally the Yankees are ahead. I don't think I could handle it if the Orioles and the Yankees ended the year with the same record and they made the playoffs and we didn't, or they got home games and we didn't. 

Makes sense.  Look, it’s always important to beat the Yankees, don’t get me wrong.  I’m just saying we’ve already put ourselves in a position where this road trip can’t be a disaster.   Saying that, we’re already 1-2 against the Yankees and it would be great if we didn’t fall further in the hole against them.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Makes sense.  Look, it’s always important to beat the Yankees, don’t get me wrong.  I’m just saying we’ve already put ourselves in a position where this road trip can’t be a disaster.   Saying that, we’re already 1-2 against the Yankees and it would be great if we didn’t fall further in the hole against them.

We play 13 games against each team now so unless their is a rainout that doesn't get made up, we can't be tied head-to-head because of odd number of games.

43 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

We play 13 games against each team now so unless their is a rainout that doesn't get made up, we can't be tied head-to-head because of odd number of games.

I think what Moshagge3 was saying is that head to head record breaks ties when it comes to making the playoffs or home field advantage, so winning the season series remains important.  

• Upvote 1

I suppose Felix had to try, right?

Some consolation on the night is that Kyle Bradish and Gerrit Cole looked vaguely similar.     The path to the top of the division involves Orioles Bats competing at Gerrit Cole's level (or surpassing it!).    Gunnar got him - the group put his K-BB in the red.

Bryan Baker for me is closer to Norfolk shuttle than a reliever I really want to use in a tournament setting.

• Upvote 1