Memorial Day and the trade deadline

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is hilarious how some assume that Elias is somehow not aware of the assets in his own organization and their value  and assume he has some misguided emotional connection to “dumpster dives.”

Yeah, if dumpster diving is signing a 2B who is top 10 in wRC+ in all of baseball for that position and a SP with a 2.52 ERA against the AL East, I'll live with that. If these guys falter down the stretch there are high level minor league guys to give some ABs to try and solve that issue. One of the more bizarre things on this board is people still insinuating the O's are in a tough spot with all of these minor league guys busting down the door when the exact opposite is true. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if you don't promote them they will eventually lose value as well.

So it isn't a simple matter of not promoting folks.

Eventually?  Let me know when that is.  As of now I’d say both Westburg and Cowser have increased their value since last September.

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Eventually is that ever changing time where the Orioles are apparently going to lose all of the minor leaguers for nothing. 

And no one say anything close to that.

The idea that if you promote guys they will lose value so you can just keep them in the minors indefinitely is flawed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The idea that if you promote guys they will lose value so you can just keep them in the minors indefinitely is flawed.

No one said that they all lose value and no one said anything about keeping them in the minors indefinitely.   

Jordan Westburg has 132 games at AAA, basically one full season.   

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes there are people saying that. And what's funny is that the OP you're responding to in no way shape or form said that the prospects should be kept in the minors "indefinitely". It is true that most prospects of the Westburg, Norby, Ortiz level do eventually lose value when they make the big leagues because the majority of the prospects at their consensus ranking aren't above average big leaguers when they make it up. The overall point is this isn't a concern for the FO right now. There is no harm in Cowser and Westburg continuing to play in AAA as the big league team continues to play at a 95+ win pace. They will get their chance or they'll be traded. It's not even June yet. 

I posted the separately but it is more appropriate here:

I am curious to see the attendance this weekend, I'm sure the warehouse is also.  If I'm in the warehouse this weekend could be good for modeling attendance if the Orioles contend-ton of exposure with the new uniforms, lot of momentum, an exciting opponent.  If attendance is up dramatically Elias would have a good case for expanding payroll at the deadline....could be very telling of his relationship with JA.