Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

15 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Ok, I am not arguing your point, of course he needs depth, but to what end? Is Cameron a potential 4th or 5th OF for the O's but ME doesn't want to take the chance on losing him right now? ME said they were talking to Hicks before the Mullins injury, why? Is endless accumulation of AAAA players the end goal? He already had 4 getting significant ABs at Norfolk, one is 29, another is 28 (O'Hearn, Lester). That is almost 1/3 of the 13 position players. But Cameron and Diaz are only 26 so maybe ME sees more upside? O'Hearn as a PH  works as he is fungible and 3B (Lester) is already covered. Those two I get, but giving ABs at 1B to Santander and others vs promoting Diaz makes no sense. Diaz is a plus fielder and you are grooming Kjerstad at AA for 1B. He has done everything with the bat you could ask starting with AFL thru ST, thru AA. Bringing in Hicks on a MLB contract vs promoting Cameron, makes no sense. Worst case Cameron fails and will pass thru DFA or you let him go. ME did that with Phillips last year. Does ME need to constantly try to find diamonds in the rough? How long before the real prospects get their chances, like Cowser, Ortiz, Westburg, not the marginal rookies like Vavra, Stowers? Kjerstad, Mayo, Prieto, Fabian, Wagner, Beavers are going to need a spot to move to before the year is out. Hording only works so long.

Your urgency is not the urgency Elias has. 

Diaz would not be getting many at bats here at all. O’Hearn isn’t   

A CF was hurt. An OF was added.  Why does every player added have be a prospect or young? It’s a fill in role. 

• Upvote 1

I think Hicks was going to be added even without the Mullins injury. He fits on the bench better than O’Hearn and Vavra do. Elias also admitted he had been talking to him already. 

I like to that Hicks chose us. Stop laughing… but I’m sure he had other offers. He chose the O’s and the chance at revenge against the NYY. 

He’s a switch hitter. We love that. Hopefully Mullins will only be out 10-14 days. I then see Hicks being our “everyday” RF with Hays in LF. Vavra or O’Hearn would go down. 

At least we didn’t trade Zach Davies for Hicks, like we did for Parra. Or… Jonah Heim for Steve Pearce part 3.0. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

He was pulled from today's game with muscle cramps. So we got about 2 hits out of him. Send him back where he came from.

He did have to do lot of running chasing down balls because the pitching was so bad.  Between being on base each at bat and running in outfield after balls I am not that surprised especially with him not playing any baseball in last few weeks. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He did have to do lot of running chasing down balls because the pitching was so bad.  Between being on base each at bat and running in outfield after balls I am not that surprised especially with him not playing any baseball in last few weeks. 

Anyone else in the DFA waiver wire?

18 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Hicks was going to be added even without the Mullins injury. He fits on the bench better than O’Hearn and Vavra do. Elias also admitted he had been talking to him already. 

I like to that Hicks chose us. Stop laughing… but I’m sure he had other offers. He chose the O’s and the chance at revenge against the NYY. 

He’s a switch hitter. We love that. Hopefully Mullins will only be out 10-14 days. I then see Hicks being our “everyday” RF with Hays in LF. Vavra or O’Hearn would go down. 

At least we didn’t trade Zach Davies for Hicks, like we did for Parra. Or… Jonah Heim for Steve Pearce part 3.0. 

O'Hearn has an 845 OPS while sitting the bench for long period.   He is doing a good job as a bench player IMO.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Your urgency is not the urgency Elias has. 

Diaz would not be getting many at bats here at all. O’Hearn isn’t   

A CF was hurt. An OF was added.  Why does every player added have be a prospect or young? It’s a fill in role. 

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

O'Hearn has an 845 OPS while sitting the bench for long period.   He is doing a good job as a bench player IMO.

O’Hearn is producing when playing. Unlike the rest of the bench other than McKenna vs LHP. 

Vavra could still go down for Cameron. Especially since Vavra is being used primarily as an OF. Cameron homered last night in AAA btw. I’m assuming Cameron at 26, still has plus speed and good CF defense?  Vavra doesn’t offer either. For what this team needs… Cameron is the better choice.  It’s just hard to justify Vavra in any role. IF or OF. 

We’d have to DFA someone for Cameron. Gilaspie, Vespi, or Perez?

Edited by sportsfan8703

20 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Parra trade was bad, but Jonah Heim? He was traded twice more after the O's traded him and didn't show any indication that he might be able to hit in the big leagues until his age 27 season (last year, six years after the initial trade). Good on Heim for (maybe) figuring something out, but that's not one you lose any sleep over.