Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

3 minutes ago, deward said:

The Parra trade was bad, but Jonah Heim? He was traded twice more after the O's traded him and didn't show any indication that he might be able to hit in the big leagues until his age 27 season (last year, six years after the initial trade). Good on Heim for (maybe) figuring something out, but that's not one you lose any sleep over.

But they traded for him for Pearce.  They got 60 at bats out of him.  Tampa didn't play Pearce in the outfield that season, Buck puts him out there and he gets hurt pretty shortly thereafter.  I'm pretty sure both teams knew Pearce wasn't exactly healthy when they made the trade.  The whole thing just reeks of Buck wanting one of his guys back.

And since I was one of the few folks to speak out against the trade when it happened, I can claim no hindsight needed.  I'd rather keep as many quality receivers in the minors as i can hoard.

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:59 PM, Spy Fox said:

Last week I was at the 9-6 W in the Bronx with a Yankee fan friend of mine. During an IKF at bat, he was discussing how maligned IKF is by Yankees fans, and then IKF hit a HR off Wells. During a Frazier at bat, I was telling him how hated the Frazier signing was, and Frazier then hit a HR off Cortes. Today since this news broke we've been chatting about how truly awful Hicks was for NYY lately. Hopefully these powers extend and Hicks hits a HR in his O's debut tonight. 

How about 2 for 2 with a walk?

I like the acquisition. At the least, for a few weeks an acceptable,  replacement for an injured centerfielder. In decline, but may be able to put together enough good games over a first-half stretch to justify the experiment. Low-cost and so NBD if the Orioles decide to move on to another option.

Hicks' high walk numbers fit in with the Orioles' approach, plus lots of pennant race and postseason experience joining a lineup that has almost none, incl. an impressive 16 walks in 114 postseason plate appearances! One assumes that, at the time, he was considered enough of a threat to pitch around.

Was a favorite target of Y's fans' griping and so he might do better under less pressure in Baltimore surrounded by young players. Eager to see what Elias was referring to in terms of Hicks' swing.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Agreed. 

OK, both you and Eddie read what I wrote as if I had a sense of urgency, that's not my point at all. I don't give a crap about Hicks vs Cameron or Diaz vs O'Hearn. I'm trying to figure out ME's "process". Why pickup and rehabilitate guys like Diaz and Cameron, both only age 26 with some MLB experience, if you aren't going to use them when a need arises? They want a backup 1B, have tried Santander, O'Hearn and others. They lack an OF and have used Frazier, Vavra, O'Hearn in COF spots. Why use misfit guys in places they have no experience when you have experienced guys for those positions in AAA and playing well? Mullins goes down they pickup Hicks, fine, but they were already talking to Hicks before Mullins went down, why? Is ME constantly trying to find rehab projects? To what end? Does ME want a juggernaut in AAA with productive vets showing the prospects how professionals prepare, kinda Crash for Nuke? I doubt Diaz and Cameron are thought of as prospects higher than Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, and Kjerstad so are they trade bait if you are unwilling to promote them?  I can't see the logic of Hyde playing Vavra and the vets out of position when you are trying to win while you have viable players at AAA. 

If the O's didn't have prospects stacked up at Norfolk, signing him would make sense.  I just don't want Hicks blocking Cowser.  I know a lot of people are excited that Hicks went 2 for 2 his first games, but that means he could hit 2 for his next 50 and still have a job.  Not sure why the O's/Elias are fixated on reclamation projects when the O's literally have the #1 farm system. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

But they traded for him for Pearce.  They got 60 at bats out of him.  Tampa didn't play Pearce in the outfield that season, Buck puts him out there and he gets hurt pretty shortly thereafter.  I'm pretty sure both teams knew Pearce wasn't exactly healthy when they made the trade.  The whole thing just reeks of Buck wanting one of his guys back.

And since I was one of the few folks to speak out against the trade when it happened, I can claim no hindsight needed.  I'd rather keep as many quality receivers in the minors as i can hoard.

If you want to say they traded for the wrong guy to help the 2016 team, I don't have a problem with that. Given how Heim had hit up to that point (and for some time afterwards), I also have no problem with Duq considering him expendable for a rental. The odds of him never providing any value to the club at that point must have seemed high.

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

I like the acquisition. At the least, for a few weeks an acceptable replacement for an injured centerfielder. Low-cost and so NBD if they decide to pull the plug on him. His high walk numbers fit in with the Orioles' approach, plus lots of pennant race and postseason experience joining a lineup that has almost none (incl. impressive 16 walks in 114 postseason plate appearances!). Was a favorite target of Y's fans' gripes and so he might do better under less pressure in Baltimore surrounded by young players. Eager to see what Elias was referring to in terms of Hicks' swing.

I like it too. And already it's apparent that Hicks looks much more relaxed as compared to when he played in NY. He was smiling on the field and smiling in his media interview yesterday.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

OK, both you and Eddie read what I wrote as if I had a sense of urgency, that's not my point at all. I don't give a crap about Hicks vs Cameron or Diaz vs O'Hearn. I'm trying to figure out ME's "process". Why pickup and rehabilitate guys like Diaz and Cameron, both only age 26 with some MLB experience, if you aren't going to use them when a need arises? They want a backup 1B, have tried Santander, O'Hearn and others. They lack an OF and have used Frazier, Vavra, O'Hearn in COF spots. Why use misfit guys in places they have no experience when you have experienced guys for those positions in AAA and playing well? Mullins goes down they pickup Hicks, fine, but they were already talking to Hicks before Mullins went down, why? Is ME constantly trying to find rehab projects? To what end? Does ME want a juggernaut in AAA with productive vets showing the prospects how professionals prepare, kinda Crash for Nuke? I doubt Diaz and Cameron are thought of as prospects higher than Westburg, Ortiz, Cowser, and Kjerstad so are they trade bait if you are unwilling to promote them?  I can't see the logic of Hyde playing Vavra and the vets out of position when you are trying to win while you have viable players at AAA. 

If Cowser was healthy Elias would have promoted him and never signed Hicks.   And when Cowser is healthy again and hitting he will probably be promoted and Hick be DFA'd. 

Diaz and Cameron are out of options and if they are brought up they have to stay or be DFA'd.  Its a long season.  More injuries will happen.  Both players are good depth and can be kept in the organization at AAA until there is a bigger need.

Elias had an open 40 man roster spot and when that happens he is always on the look out for how to fill it with someone that helps the team. So the interest in Hick before the Mullins injury is just Elias being Elias.  I am sure he expresses interest in many players that never get added because the fit does not develop.

Edited by wildcard

20 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

If you think there is a better player available then what you have, you add them to your roster. 

You have 40 man roster concerns. The at bats at the big leagues for some of the players you have mentioned are limited. You don’t want someone is a top prospect playing sparingly at the big league level. The players at AAA are still potential options and you are trying to get thru 162 games. 

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And you would have put him on the 40 man roster when he was 23-24 to prevent him from becoming a minor league FA?