Aaron Hicks (Update: Signed by the Orioles to replace Mullins)

cboemmeljr

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They will deserve real kudos if they turn this guy around because he’s been awful for at least three years. I’m sure they Yanks have their share of analytics but you can’t fix a slow bat. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder what they are looking at?  The positives I see recently are walk rate and arm strength.

I would assume they are things in his swing or approach that they think they can tweak.   But I’m under no illusions.   The majority of veteran players can’t be tweaked that easily.  I’m not expecting much at all from Hicks. 

At first I didn't like the Hicks signing, but there are some positives with Hicks on the roster. Hicks is past his prime, but he seems like a steadying veteran presence who has veteran playoff experience. He also isn't in Mullins defensive class, but should at least be able to provide above replacement level defense in the outfield while also being able to bat from both sides of the plate. The Orioles could have done worse.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would assume they are things in his swing or approach that they think they can tweak.   But I’m under no illusions.   The majority of veteran players can’t be tweaked that easily.  I’m not expecting much at all from Hicks. 

I guess…although it’s been 3 years of poor play and it’s not like the Yankees weren’t invested into the idea of fixing him.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Hicks would be an Orioles if Cowser was healthy.   And as soon as Cowser gets healthy and back to his normal performance I think he replaces Hicks.  

Hicks is strictly a placeholder.  Fixing him is not a priority IMO.

This is what should happen…hopefully it does. 

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Hicks would be an Orioles if Cowser was healthy.   And as soon as Cowser gets healthy and back to his normal performance I think he replaces Hicks.  

Depends how long Mullins is out, and how quickly Cowser is ready.  I’m not sure they’d call up Cowser if Mullins was a week away from being activated.  Maybe.  

12 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias can’t wait to tell everyone how great his farm system is and yet he doesn’t want to show it off.

Why?

Obviously it is because he is an idiot and has no idea how easy it is to make the right moves to help a team.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends how long Mullins is out, and how quickly Cowser is ready.  I’m not sure they’d call up Cowser if Mullins was a week away from being activated.  Maybe.  

Cowser can and should be here, playing a lot, no matter what is going on with Mullins.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser can and should be here, playing a lot, no matter what is going on with Mullins.

In the ideal world, Cowser gets called up, plays well, and when Mullins is ready, they send McKenna down.  But am I betting on that?   No.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias says Mullins is out for weeks and Cowser will be ready in days.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Elias says Mullins is out for weeks and Cowser will be ready in days.

Being ready to play, and being ready to play in the majors, are two different things.   They aren’t going to send Cowser up to the majors when he hasn’t played in two weeks.  So, let’s say he resumes in AAA today.   I think he’d need to show he was dialed in before he got called up.   That could be five days, or it could take a couple of weeks.  

1 hour ago, Fiver6565 said:

They will deserve real kudos if they turn this guy around because he’s been awful for at least three years. I’m sure they Yanks have their share of analytics but you can’t fix a slow bat. 

Also Hicks is 33 years old now and even with adjustments to his swing he might not be physically capable of being the player he was five years ago.