Elias on MLBN

Sports Guy

Thanks for sharing SG!

Interesting that Mateo was included as a "core guy" that the acquisitions were supplementing.  Posturing?  Or true belief?

Current events:  Mullins' MRI "doesn't look too severe" = weeks instead of months.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks for sharing SG!

Interesting that Mateo was included as a "core guy" that the acquisitions were supplementing.  Posturing?  Or true belief?

Current events:  Mullins' MRI "doesn't look too severe" = weeks instead of months.  

Not sure, but what it tells me is that Elias is rolling with Mateo in 2023. What will happen in 2024 and beyond as it regards Mateo? Not sure, but for the right now Mateo is our Shortstop.

Thank you for sharing!

While I acknowledge that he probably wouldn't and shouldn't reveal any of his true intentions/feelings to the public through the media, I don't really like what I am hearing from him.

First, he's setting what in IMO is a really low bar to clear "of just making the playoffs". Again, I hope that this is just talk/media speech. But the tone of this is all wrong to me. I want the face of my franchise and it's public spokesman speaking in terms of chasing a championship. This just has a loser mentality feel to it to me which aligns with the owner blowing off an Adley extension after a historic opening day performance and seemingly more interested in talking about community development and his partnership with the new governor rather than anything related to baseball.

This is one of my major concerns about everything that I hear coming from the franchise, which seems to be "let's just keep the bar and expectations really low". That does not sound like an org who's goal is to do what it takes in order to win the big prize.

Second, with the whole "we are making preparations for buyer scenarios", sounds to me like we are willing to make an acquisition as long as it's cheap. Again, not the mentality of a team truly trying to chase a championship. I thought we did the whole, "just have a winning season" thing last year. But I'm afraid that expectations and expenditures are going to remain very low. 

20 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

At the very end talked about "major renovations" coming for Camden Yards. In talks w Stadium Authority etc. Hopefully they get that lease signed soon. Will be curious to see what they have planned. 

My guess is the hold up is Angelos trying to get as little oversight as possible in how the money is spent.

22 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Not sure, but what it tells me is that Elias is rolling with Mateo in 2023. What will happen in 2024 and beyond as it regards Mateo? Not sure, but for the right now Mateo is our Shortstop.

These guys speak to other GMs not you and I when they do these.

I could just as easily surmise that the keepers are Mountcastle and Urias and that he was propping up Santander and Mateo....

35 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Thanks for sharing SG!

I REALLY hope we aren't so tied to Mateo that we are going to let him continue indefinitely starting and playing with his incredible .295 OPS for the month of May.  At some point we HAVE to either have him start hitting better or put him on the bench.  No amount of good defensive plays or stolen bases can carry a .295 OPS.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Thank you for sharing!

While I acknowledge that he probably wouldn't and shouldn't reveal any of his true intentions/feelings to the public through the media, I don't really like what I am hearing from him.

First, he's setting what in IMO is a really low bar to clear "of just making the playoffs". Again, I hope that this is just talk/media speech. But the tone of this is all wrong to me. I want the face of my franchise and it's public spokesman speaking in terms of chasing a championship. This just has a loser mentality feel to it to me which aligns with the owner blowing off an Adley extension after a historic opening day performance and seemingly more interested in talking about community development and his partnership with the new governor rather than anything related to baseball.

This is one of my major concerns about everything that I hear coming from the franchise, which seems to be "let's just keep the bar and expectations really low". That does not sound like an org who's goal is to do what it takes in order to win the big prize.

Second, with the whole "we are making preparations for buyer scenarios", sounds to me like we are willing to make an acquisition as long as it's cheap. Again, not the mentality of a team truly trying to chase a championship. I thought we did the whole, "just have a winning season" thing last year. But I'm afraid that expectations and expenditures are going to remain very low. 

Making the playoffs isn't a low bar.  Being a constant playoff team, isn't a low bar.  You continually treat this season as the last chance to ever accomplish anything.  All of us want to win a championship.  Elias does too.  

There are very few experienced guys on this roster and this aint NY.  Standing in front of the media and proclaiming on Memorial Day we expect to challenge for the WS would be ridiculous.  What he said instead was that for the last year we have now been one of the best teams in baseball and we want to build on that...

I think you need to take the loser fandom from the past off and embrace what could...could be a decade of success.  

I do not think the bar is set low.  This team was picked to finish last in the AL East each of the last two years and is continuing to demonstrate that it is raising the floor and expectations.  But I think when it comes to moves, Elias will be making them to make sure this team is a playoff team with a chance to dance.

I do think that when Elias says he is preparing to be a buyer, that he is likely not referencing what you would like to see.  IF there are lots of sellers perhaps we will all be surprised.  IF the prices are super high....we should expect to see mostly marginal moves...Elias' eye is on a WS, maybe a couple, but I think he would like to get their feet wet at least once before he shoves a lot of capital into the pile.

My 2 cents.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Os4days said:

Interesting that he named a bunch of guys as core guys but didn’t include Mountcastle. I wonder if we do “buy” at the deadline, we go after a power hitter. 

Mountcastle has done nothing this year to suggest he should be a core guy.

43 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

At the very end talked about "major renovations" coming for Camden Yards. In talks w Stadium Authority etc. Hopefully they get that lease signed soon. Will be curious to see what they have planned. 

I’d guess removing some sections in the upper deck for more “social areas”. 

Let’s say they remove the LF Upper Deck seating above the wall. Would there be more wind?  Good or bad for offense?

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My guess is the hold up is Angelos trying to get as little oversight as possible in how the money is spent.

My guess is Angelos is waiting for the best time to get maximum exposure for himself and his buddy the Governor. 

It’s theatre.