Wednesday, May 31: Homestand and the month of May end with rubber match vs Guardians

SteveA

Just now, Natty said:

So who's idea was having a bullpen start? 

Fortunately we have a day off tomorrow. Coulombe has to take whatever damage is inflicted--Cano and Bautista need to be rested before heading into SF.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Fortunately we have a day off tomorrow. Coulombe has to take whatever damage is inflicted--Cano and Bautista need to be rested before heading into SF.

But we might of won this game if we had brought up a guy to piggyback with Voth.  This BP game stuff is just dumb.  

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

It's almost like 2 days off... 51+ hours until our next game.   Some of the guys that pitched today will be available.   If we want to use them.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Do you think the 2023 Orioles can win the World Series? I think that's ultimately the point in American professional sports.

Because I don't think they can this year but do project they could as soon as next year once prospects are brought up, I consider them ahead of schedule.

You think SIX years to be a serious contender is ahead of schedule?  How many years did you expect it to take?

10 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Bad loss today. Very bad.

As bad a loss as any I've seen in years...our bullpen is shot and we dont have a lot of options...we scored 8 runs and it still wasnt good enough...I'd send Perez and Givens anywhere but not on this team...it was a ridiculous effort today.Inexcusable.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think SIX years to be a serious contender is ahead of schedule?  How many years did you expect it to take?

My point was directed toward the recurrent idea that the Orioles are contenders now and should be trading away prospects for veterans. I don't think they should be doing that because I don't think they're contenders yet.

Getting out to as hot of a start as they have this year has convinced some of "lift off" and that we have a real shot this year. I don't think that's realistic in 2023, but I think it will be beginning next year. And I think that has been the timetable for awhile now. Hence there's a schedule and we're ahead of it.

If this was football, I might say the O's have a shot so long as the make the playoffs. But the tournament in baseball isn't single elimination.

7 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

My point was directed toward the recurrent idea that the Orioles are contenders now and should be trading away prospects for veterans. I don't think they should be doing that because I don't think they're contenders yet.

Getting out to as hot of a start as they have this year has convinced some of "lift off" and that we have a real shot this year. I don't think that's realistic in 2023, but I think it will be beginning next year. And I think that has been the timetable for awhile now. Hence there's a schedule and we're ahead of it.

If this was football, I might say the O's have a shot so long as the make the playoffs. But the tournament in baseball isn't single elimination.

So how many years should it take to build a real contender?  Seven?  Eight?  A solid decade?

I get what you are saying but to say they are ahead of a reasonable schedule, I just don't agree.  We have laughably low expectations as a fanbase.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So how many years should it take to build a real contender?  Seven?  Eight?  A solid decade?

I get what you are saying but to say they are ahead of a reasonable schedule, I just don't agree.  We have laughably low expectations as a fanbase.

Sad but true. Fantasizing about what could be is all we've been conditioned to expect. I get your point in asking at what point the switch flips.

Really I'm just needling the people who constantly insist we need to be trading for an "ace." Because there's an argument that all of our capital is tied to this current crop of prospects. We don't have the money, international pipeline, top draft picks, or proven player development system. So let's be pretty careful with what we do have.

Cole Irvin can't make a rotation that defaulted to the disastrous bullpen outing today while Darell Hernaiz is OPSing .922. Not especially anxious to be rushing into more trades like that.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

And we looked great against Toronto.   What does that have to do with today?

We didn't lose a series to the A's like Atlanta just did.

It just means things can change.  That A’s series had everyone down.