Bench Mountcastle, start O’Hearn

Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He's fine against LHP.  He's been abysmal against RHP.  He needs to start losing AB against RHP.

BTW, our IF OPS as of this post:

Mountcastle - .697

Frazier - .703

Mateo - .654

Urias - .662

That's not going to cut it.

.697 for a defensively challenged 1B is terrible.  I refuse to believe Westburg can't do better plus supply superior defense.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I can argue with willingly keeping talent in the minors that could help this team. I honestly think the team would be 20 games over .500 or better with a better manager, Westburg and Ortiz called up earlier/given more playing time, and if Frazier had never been signed.

Those things can't be changed retroactively obviously, but the right moves can be made in the future to correct major issues with the team. The team and the front office should always be striving to improve. I'm not going to be satisfied with the current record when I think this team could have been even better, and could be even better moving forward by moving on from players who aren't producing.

Mountcastle, Mateo, Frazier, McKenna, Voth, Perez - we have options in the minors who can replace these guys and who have a good chance to be more productive. Just because minor leaguers frequently struggle after being promoted to the majors isn't an excuse to keep them down in every single instance. 

I'm sorry, two of the worst OBP's in major league baseball from Mateo and Mountcastle can be improved upon by almost anyone, especially prospects who have demonstrated excellent on-base skills (Cowser, and to a lesser extent Westburg) and great exit velocities (Ortiz, Westburg, and Cowser) in the minors.

What about Stowers remember him?

The offense does need a spark/overhaul. We just need players that show more consistency. The young guys/rookies struggle’s are to be expected and growth is expected as well. There’s no excuse for Urias, Mateo, and Mountcastle. Poor ABs. 

O’Hearn over Mountcastle. Cowser up for McKenna. Urias to IL. Westburg up. DFA Gilaspie. 

We can send down McKenna for Cowser because then we have three OF capable of playing CF in Hicks, Hays, and Cowser. If there is an injury McKenna could quickly be brought back. 

Reboot…

vs RHP

Hicks S CF

Adley S C

Santa S DH

Hays R LF

Gunnar L 3B/SS

Westburg R SS/3B

O’Hearn L 1B

Cowser L RF

Frazier L 2B

Lester, McCann, Mountcastle, Mateo

• Upvote 1

O’Hearn is producing in his limited at bats. I have zero problem with him getting more playing time but his career norm is what it is. We shouldn’t expect much out of him over the course of a larger sampling of at bats.

That said, maybe he can be a 750-800 OPS guy vs righties and that would be a major improvement over Mounty.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The offense does need a spark/overhaul. We just need players that show more consistency. The young guys/rookies struggle’s are to be expected and growth is expected as well. There’s no excuse for Urias, Mateo, and Mountcastle. Poor ABs. 

O’Hearn over Mountcastle. Cowser up for McKenna. Urias to IL. Westburg up. DFA Gilaspie. 

We can send down McKenna for Cowser because then we have three OF capable of playing CF in Hicks, Hays, and Cowser. If there is an injury McKenna could quickly be brought back. 

Reboot…

vs RHP

Hicks S CF

Adley S C

Santa S DH

Hays R LF

Gunnar L 3B/SS

Westburg R SS/3B

O’Hearn L 1B

Cowser L RF

Frazier L 2B

Lester, McCann, Mountcastle, Mateo

I've come to the conclusion that McKenna is here to stay. Hyde loves him.

What ailment will Urias suddenly have to be put on the IL? 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder how much of this is mental for Mounty, considering the wall, bad luck, etc…at some point, it’s going to eat at you.

He probably needs a change of scenery.

He has options.  Could he get his act together in Norfolk for a bit?

I think he'll stay mostly showcased through the Trade Deadline.    Part of Raysian means hating to sacrifice value anywhere even if it means suffocating Westburg a while longer.     His off 40 status helps him even though his acquiring Club is probably putting him in the lineup the very next day.

Watching teams like CLE and MIL the last couple weeks, I think there are some playoff contending Clubs who could live with riding out the ups and downs.

It is terrible now.    He's a Mr. Smiiles kind of guy, and his comportment in the games I've seen has at least held intact.

If we make a move, I do think O'Hearn/Lester are 99% AAAA fodder, and Lewin Diaz is the one that might be a sticker solution to try from the front office's perspective for 2024.      Middling 1B/DH/OF types don't typically command much trade deadline premium - there should be some options similar to how ATL traded for their entire outfield in what became their championship year with Acuna on the sidelines.

O's 1B OPS now 28th out of 30 teams.   Curiously number 29 is SD and 30 Houston.   Either could be trade partners for Mountcastle.  Now I am pretty sure that Ryan will be the classic change of scenery, working with a new hitting coach, unlock his full potential type of player; however the Os have the IF depth and better profile hitters worth slotting in/trying at 1B - Santander, Diaz/Ohearn, Westburg, Stowers?, Kjerstad.   Seems time to move on from Mountcastle.  Overall INF of Mountcastle, Frazier, Mateo and Urias may be good defensively but not a playoff caliber INF. 

I don't get the over reactionary seething hatred around here for Ryan Mountcastle. You'd think he stole someone's baby or something. But then, maybe I'm just not seeing something others are. Maybe I'm just blinded by the 40 something Home Runs and countless saved bad throws from the past 365+ days.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He's fine against LHP.  He's been abysmal against RHP.  He needs to start losing AB against RHP.

BTW, our IF OPS as of this post:

Mountcastle - .697

Frazier - .703

Mateo - .654

Urias - .662

That's not going to cut it.

Hmm I wonder what the OPS of the Norfolk infield is? Anyone down there that could help?