Cubs series

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

People are expecting too much from rookies. Everyone seems to think minor league promotions will be some magic pill, but they fail to realize the bug difference between the minor leagues and the major leagues. Ortiz hit a home run in AAA the night  before his most recent recall. He was batting an amazing stat line in the minors. So was Kyle Stowers this season. Vavra is doing that now.  They all keep getting called up after their strong minor league play, only to struggle with putrid numbers in the Major League.

It would be wise for the team to cushion themselves to absorb the promotion of 1 player at a time they can play regularly and develop with Big League At Bats. Because so far, every promotion from the Orioles, including May of 2022 with Adley, has shown it takes a bit of unknown amount of time to adjust. Some players take longer than others. Very few are exceptions. Gunnar came up and was good in his 2022 cup of coffee but still had to adjust in 2023 in his 1st real full major league season. (He's still making adjustments and in the process of getting even better.) 

Agreed, and it's getting silly people keep pointing to Corbin Carroll as some kind of example for promoting rookies.  There's a reason Arizona offered him a $100 million extension at only age 22.  He's just on another level.

4 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

They can easily be better than Frazier and other scrubs we run out there 

Right there's where you're already mistaken. People were calling for Ortiz a few weeks ago saying he would be better than Frazier. What's Ortiz's stat line so far? .219/.212/.250 with an OPS of .462. What's Frazier's? .229/.291/.395/.686.

Maybe Ortiz will get there eventually. But you already said he's "not major league ready". Maybe he is but it's just taking him the usual time to adjust.

To answer your rhetorical question, of course we should be promoting prospects, but it should be done in a careful and methodical way because we don't want 5 players struggling on the roster at the same time. And based on every amount of data we have with our prospects, they are most likely going to struggle. Ortiz and Lester seem to be the prospects they are trying to graduate into the Big League right now, and as you can see, they clearly are not helping the lineup at the moment. The same thing is going to happen to Colten Cowser. I won't predict that about Jordan Westburg because he's got more experience in AAA than everybody else and I just don't know what he will do. But the data tells us he's most likely to struggle to adapt to the next level too. So once Ortiz is no longer a liability, or they trade somebody like Mateo, and we no longer have that offensive liability in the order, then they'll probably bring up Westburg or Cowser to get a chance. It's about minimizing risk.  And right now the biggest liabilities on the active roster offensively are McCann, Mateo, Ortiz, Lester, and McKenna. They don't want any more potential liabilities.  At least Frazier puts the bat to ball with contact and moves runners over. He's also the only one on this team who seems to know how to bunt correctly.

Cubs series: Day off on Monday, so I think Adley gets to catch game 3. Let's hope we can avoid being sweeped. Every game matters. Every game counts.

I hope we get to see the same Dean Kremer that pitched a complete game beating the Houston Astros last season.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Right there's where you're already mistaken. People were calling for Ortiz a few weeks ago saying he would be better than Frazier. What's Ortiz's stat line so far? .219/.212/.250 with an OPS of .462. What's Frazier's? .229/.291/.395/.686.

Maybe Ortiz will get there eventually. But you already said he's "not major league ready". Maybe he is but it's just taking him the usual time to adjust.

To answer your rhetorical question, of course we should be promoting prospects, but it should be done in a careful and methodical way because we don't want 5 players struggling on the roster at the same time. And based on every amount of data we have with our prospects, they are most likely going to struggle. Ortiz and Lester seem to be the prospects they are trying to graduate into the Big League right now, and as you can see, they clearly are not helping the lineup at the moment. The same thing is going to happen to Colten Cowser. I won't predict that about Jordan Westburg because he's got more experience in AAA than everybody else and I just don't know what he will do. But the data tells us he's most likely to struggle to adapt to the next level too. So once Ortiz is no longer a liability, or they trade somebody like Mateo, and we no longer have that offensive liability in the order, then they'll probably bring up Westburg or Cowser to get a chance. It's about minimizing risk.  And right now the biggest liabilities on the active roster offensively are McCann, Mateo, Ortiz, Lester, and McKenna. They don't want any more potential liabilities.  At least Frazier puts the bat to ball with contact and moves runners over. He's also the only one on this team who seems to know how to bunt correctly.

Cubs series: Day off on Monday, so I think Adley gets to catch game 3. Let's hope we can avoid being sweeped. Every game matters. Every game counts.

I hope we get to see the same Dean Kremer that pitched a complete game beating the Houston Astros last season.

Because Ortiz doesn't play, and when he does he plays for 2 abs and then Hyde lifts him from the game. And that slash line is still better than Mateo which is who he should be replacing 

Edited by Orioles0615
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Lester isn’t a prospect

12 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Because Ortiz doesn't play, and when he does he plays for 2 abs and then Hyde lifts him from the game. And that slash line is still better than Mateo which is who he should be replacing 

His slash line isn't close to as good as Mateo's.  The only worse slash line on the team is Kyle Stowers and Josh Lester, and at this point both have had fewer PAs than Ortiz.  Ortiz has no walks and only one extra base hit in over 30 ABs.  He'll get his opportunities but he hasn't shown he's ready to take over for anyone yet.  I'm more interested in seeing Westburg at this point.

20 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree with most of this, except that Lester is definitely not any kind of prospect. He has been a career minor leaguer and will be 29 next month. He is nothing more than a place holder (IMO wasting a spot that should go to Cowser). But agree in that it is more than likely that Cowser will struggle upon his arrival. 

I never agreed with the fans/poster who advocated for replacing productive hitters in Hays/Santander with rookies. But if the alternative is getting O’Hearns as far away from the outfield as possible and getting Lester off of the team, I would be good with that.

20 hours ago, banks703 said:

Gonna be a five game losing streak by the time they return home. They suck. 

Going to be hard to keep pushing this narrative now, unless we can somehow manage to lose 5 of the next 2 games. This is such a loser mentality and the ‘sky is falling’ routine every time we lose two in a row (or in your case, fall behind by one run a game after losing the game prior)is just tired. I wish more posters would call this BS out. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Going to be hard to keep pushing this narrative now, unless we can somehow manage to lose 5 of the next 2 games. This is such a loser mentality and the ‘sky is falling’ routine every time we lose two in a row (or in your case, fall behind by one run a game after losing the game prior)is just tired. I wish more posters would call this BS out. 

Oh

6 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Don't feed the trolls, my man.