They nuked the team... for this?

DrungoHazewood

The Marlins, who've been in a continuous hissy fit for at least 10 years about not having their own taxpayer provided stadium, seem to be inching closer to their goal. And it looks like a cross between a cigar cutter and some kind of car from the Jetsons. I guess they get a little golf clap for not just doing a bad knockoff of OPACY, but a bad knockoff of SkyDome?

Multiple sell offs of everything in teal that wasn't tied down... for this?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they were at the point where they'd cut off their left hand just to get out of Dolphins' Stadium. While I'm not altogether sure about the giant pillars visible in the RF seating area (which likely repeat on the LF side) or the apparent lack of dugouts, I certainly won't condemn the design based on a few sketches.

I think they were at the point where they'd cut off their left hand just to get out of Dolphins' Stadium. While I'm not altogether sure about the giant pillars visible in the RF seating area (which likely repeat on the LF side) or the apparent lack of dugouts, I certainly won't condemn the design based on a few sketches.

I agree. Just getting out of Pro Player or whatever the heck its called now was their goal.

It's still not going to help their attendance though. Miami is a horrible sports city and I predict the Marlins to move, even despite their new digs.

I agree. Just getting out of Pro Player or whatever the heck its called now was their goal.

It's still not going to help their attendance though. Miami is a horrible sports city and I predict the Marlins to move, even despite their new digs.

I think that will probably be made impossible. If they sign a lease on the new stadium it'll probably stipulate they have to stay for some amount of time, probably 10 or 20 years. Breaking the lease would almost certainly involve paying the city many, many $millions. City governments are often dumber than a rock, but they don't often give $500M to a private company without some small guarantee that they'll get something out of it.

I think that will probably be made impossible. If they sign a lease on the new stadium it'll probably stipulate they have to stay for some amount of time, probably 10 or 20 years. Breaking the lease would almost certainly involve paying the city many, many $millions. Cities government's are often dumber than a rock, but they don't often give $500M to a private company without some small guarantee that they'll get something out of it.

10-20 years is not that long of a time IMO. Especially after moving into a new stadium. It's amazing any sports franchise has survived in Miami this long and even more confusing -- they keep getting more sports franchises!

That's their real problem. A new stadium will bring in some new fans, but that is just not a good place for a pro sports team.

That's their real problem. A new stadium will bring in some new fans, but that is just not a good place for a pro sports team.

Is Miami not a good place for a pro sports team, or is it not a good place for a pro sports team that eviscerates its roster and payroll in a fit of self-righteous anger fifteen minutes after winning the World Series? Twice.

I'm not so sure a new stadium won't help the Marlins' attendance.

They've historically faced three problems:

High ticket inventory: they play in a football stadium with too many available seats. The new place is slated to seat approximately 35K, IIRC.

Terrible South Florida weather in an open stadium: closing the roof on the new joint solves that problem. I would guess that the roof design is meant for very quick closings.

Roster turnover: once they get in the new park, this simply has to stop. They're going to have to find a way to hold on to some of their core players once they get into the new park.

When you make the decision to have a dome, there's only so much you can do aesthetically, short of Tampa's "sail" solution, which is way out there in Expos land in terms of concept (though it will hopefully work better for them mechanically than Stadia Olympique's umbrella roof did).

With a removable dome your choice of shapes is basically limited to rectangle. See Minute Maid, Safeco, etc. Miller Park is a triangle and I think it's the best of the bunch for that reason, but they had a lot of problems constructing that roof.

Roster turnover: once they get in the new park, this simply has to stop. They're going to have to find a way to hold on to some of their core players once they get into the new park.

I think "Roster turnover" is a nice way of saying they destroyed the team in a petty bit of revenge for not getting a free stadium. And telling a tax paying fanbase that their favorite team is going to be destroyed unless you give them $500M is a sure way to kill said fanbase.

When you make the decision to have a dome, there's only so much you can do aesthetically, short of Tampa's "sail" solution, which is way out there in Expos land in terms of concept (though it will hopefully work better for them mechanically than Stadia Olympique's umbrella roof did).

With a removable dome your choice of shapes is basically limited to rectangle. See Minute Maid, Safeco, etc. Miller Park is a triangle and I think it's the best of the bunch for that reason, but they had a lot of problems constructing that roof.

I never understood why you couldn't make one like a steamer basket. Maybe there's a reason I'm an engineer and not an architecht.

Alternatively, you could use a fleet of Zeppelins to carry off a roof to an ajoining field. Then the stadium could be any shape you want. That has the shape advantage, and the advantage that Zeppelins are really cool.

Is Miami not a good place for a pro sports team, or is it not a good place for a pro sports team that eviscerates its roster and payroll in a fit of self-righteous anger fifteen minutes after winning the World Series? Twice.

Drungo. You tell me. The Dolphins barely sell out playoff games and there are empty seats to be found at Fins games each week during the regular season.

The Marlins situation is well known.

The Panthers are always at the bottom of attendance figures. Maybe playing in downtown Miami might help but who knows. It's hockey for crying out loud in a city where most people wear bikinis.

The Heat seem to draw in the middle of the pack. They were #3 overall the year they won the championship.

Archived