Will Tyler Wells be shutdown?

DEOriolesfan

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/06/19/glenn-clark-time-for-orioles-to-start-thinking-proactively-about-tyler-wells-innings/

I just got done reading this article that was published today. 

Wells is only 22 innings away from reaching his total innings from last year (103.2 innings). The most he has thrown is 119.1 innings back in 2018. 

Obviously he won’t be restricted anytime soon but how many innings will the O’s allow him to pitch before they think about moving him to the bullpen or shutting him down? 

The O's need a 5th and a 6th starter.  It would be nice if one of them is better than a rotation spot filler.  Obviously one of them could be Gray Rod, but I feel he's a way aways with his control.  Still walking a lot of batters at AAA, which will balloon in the majors.  Interesting to see what Elias does before the trade deadline.  Need to at least find a starter who can slot in the rotation occasionally the 2nd half and give Bradish, Kremer and Wells the occasional start off.

Wells - Probably around 150 IP or when he shows fatigue.

GRod  -   Has walked 3 batters in his last 12 IP.   He will probably start tomorrow.   If he does well he will probably be promoted to the O's to make a start on June 27th when a 5th starter is needed.

Irvin - May stay in the pen as a 2 inning reliever who can spot start against selected teams.  Eating innings and  giving the starters an extra day when needed.

Means - Is due back in August.

Voth - Is on the IL.   He will get a rehab month to fix his problems.  He started 17 games last season with a 3.04 ERA.   I expect him back with the O's this season.

Zimmermann - Currently has a 3.50 ERA at AAA and he has options.  Could help in the 2nd half.

Watkins - Cut his finger and still is not back to this 2022 form when he had a 4.17 ERA as a starter in 20 starts.

Elias acquisition  - Its possible he trades from surplus for a starter.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Pitch limits are problematic, dubious, questionable, rooted in spurious science and detrimental to the won/loss record. But then I'm a Boomer so there ya go. 

Edited by Etch
Added additional text
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Etch said:

Pitch limits are problematic, dubious, questionable, rooted in spurious science and detrimental to the won/loss record. But then I'm a Boomer so there ya go. 

I think pitch limits are legitimate and necessary to protect arms.

I do believe that innings limits are all of the things that you say above.

When e’re the term “pitch limits” assaults my hairy ears I often harken back to those halcyon days of baseball when men were men and umpires wore ties.

Innings pitched per game by Bob Gibson in 1968:

7, 7, 9, 9, 12, 11, 8, 9.2, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9,

9, 9, 9, 9, 11, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 8, 9, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9, 9

1959-1975 IP: 3884.1