Orioles calling up Westburg.

Brian88

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The last two years Westburg has been consistently better against RHP with a 1.033 OPS this year and an .886 OPS in 2022.

That's compared to a .674 OPS this season and a .767 OPS in 2022 against LHP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=westbu000jor&type=bgl&year=2023

I wonder if that matters to sigbot.

Great first game by Westburg.  I was really impressed by his plate discipline, especially taking pitches just off the plate w/ 2 strikes.  His defense looks above average and probably an improvement over Frazier.  Let's hope he gets a real audition unlike the spotty starts that Ortiz got.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The last two years Westburg has been consistently better against RHP with a 1.033 OPS this year and an .886 OPS in 2022.

That's compared to a .674 OPS this season and a .767 OPS in 2022 against LHP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=westbu000jor&type=bgl&year=2023

True.  But the same splits were there for some other players, like Stowers, but whoever made up the lineups couldn't get over the R/L matchups.  Hopefully that isn't the case for Westburg.

Westburg just carries himself in a manner that looks like someone who will be successful. Doesn’t seem to be overwhelmed. 

There is nothing scientific to that, just some guys seem to have it and others don’t.

I would be surprised, assuming health, if Westburg doesn’t have a successful ML career. 

No issue choosing him over Ortiz but you certainly have to pick one and I think you are good either way.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg just carries himself in a manner that looks like someone who will be successful. Doesn’t seem to be overwhelmed. 

There is nothing scientific to that, just some guys seem to have it and others don’t.

I would be surprised, assuming health, if Westburg doesn’t have a successful ML career. 

No issue choosing him over Ortiz but you certainly have to pick one and I think you are good either way.

Ortiz hasn’t received a fair shot yet, and who knows how Westburg will do but it just doesn’t look like Ortiz has the pop to be in our lineup 

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta love the plate discipline and the poise.  Love seeing the Orioles draft, develop and promote guys that aren't hackers.

All those years watching Boston and NY extend at bats, get walks, etc…annoying the hell out of us.

Now, we get to do it to them.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TopGunnar said:

Ortiz hasn’t received a fair shot yet, and who knows how Westburg will do but it just doesn’t look like Ortiz has the pop to be in our lineup 

He does. His exit velos are off the charts in the minors. 

Ortiz has a similar upside to Westburg imo. Both are 3-4 WAR upside type guys but Westburg perhaps does it with a little more offense at a slightly less premium position and Ortiz can do it with better defense at a more premium position.

If both are at second base, it’s probably a close call at who is more valuable.

That said, you really do need to trade one of them sometime in the next 18 months and the discussion is, who do you want at second long term and does trading Ortiz as a SS net you more value than keeping Ortiz as a second baseman does?

I can see either argument.

As second baseman, I probably give a slight lean to Westburg overall but there is no wrong answer imo.

4 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Doesn't look like he has the pop based on his minor league track record or his 33 Major League at bats?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He does. His exit velos are off the charts in the minors. 

Ortiz has a similar upside to Westburg imo. Both are 3-4 WAR upside type guys but Westburg perhaps does it with a little more offense at a slightly less premium position and Ortiz can do it with better defense at a more premium position.

If both are at second base, it’s probably a close call at who is more valuable.

That said, you really do need to trade one of them sometime in the next 18 months and the discussion is, who do you want at second long term and does trading Ortiz as a SS net you more value than keeping Ortiz as a second baseman does?

I can see either argument.

As second baseman, I probably give a slight lean to Westburg overall but there is no wrong answer imo.

Couldn't we get rid of Frazier and Mateo and use Westburg/Ortiz at 2B/SS?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Couldn't we get rid of Frazier and Mateo and use Westburg/Ortiz at 2B/SS?

For this year, yes.  But as I said, sometime between now and the start of 2025, one of them has to go because of Holliday, who will be ready to be here within a year and then it’s a matter of when do they call him up.

Edited by Sports Guy