2B/3B/SS playing time for the next 30 games

Frobby

Tell me what you’d like to see over the next 30 games, assuming Westburg, Henderson, Mateo, Frazier and Urias are all still on the roster and Ortiz isn’t.  Be specific, how many games for each guy at each spot.   

Here’s mine:

2B: Westburg 20,  Frazier 10

3B: Urias 20,  Henderson 8, Westburg 2

SS: Henderson 20, Mateo 10

Needless to say, you might also see Urias at 1B in a couple of games, or any of Westburg, Urias or Henderson at DH.

After these 30 games, adjustments can be made depending on how players are doing.  

Pretty close to the OP, but I think Frazier still starts most of the time vs RHP, Westburg plays most days but not every day. What if we add in 1B?

2B Frazier 18, Westburg 12

SS Gunnar 18, Mateo 12

3B Urias 20, Westburg 5, Gunnar 5

1B O'Hearn 20, Urias 5, Westburg 5

After the next 30 days, if Westburg is performing, Frazier or Mateo is voted off the island and those AB's go to Westburg. 

45 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tell me what you’d like to see over the next 30 games, assuming Westburg, Henderson, Mateo, Frazier and Urias are all still on the roster and Ortiz isn’t.  Be specific, how many games for each guy at each spot.   

Here’s mine:

2B: Westburg 20,  Frazier 10

3B: Urias 20,  Henderson 8, Westburg 2

SS: Henderson 20, Mateo 10

Needless to say, you might also see Urias at 1B in a couple of games, or any of Westburg, Urias or Henderson at DH.

After these 30 games, adjustments can be made depending on how players are doing.  

I'm listed based on starts, not just on how many total games.  In other words, if Mateo is on the bench I still expect he will get into quite a few games to pinch run or something.  I really hate that our only good replacement for Mateo is Gunnar, as I don't want to pull him off of 3rd that often.

2B: Westburg 20, Urias 8, Frazier 2

SS: 15 Henderson, 15 Mateo

3B: 13 Henderson, 8 Westburg, 9 Urias

I don't like feeling like I'm forced to still play Mateo that much, but based on the roster constraints (no Ortiz) this is what I'd go with, with some small changes due to pitching matchups or something.  

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

30 games @ 3B - 15 Gunnar, 15 Westburg

30 games @ 2B - 15 Westburg

30 games @ SS - 15 Gunnar

...and whatever else.  The other 3 are not part of the future here.

I don't think I agree with the last part. I think Urias or Mateo would make excellent utility players down the stretch. That's an important role and you need somebody who can shift into different positions and play well. 

Put me in the same camp as @forphase1 that I really don't love that Gunnar is our only real replacement for Mateo (without Ortiz in the mix). But I'd still be very comfortable rolling out a Urias/Henderson/Westburg/O'Hearn infield 80% of the time. Mateo might want to start taking grounders from other spots on the diamond and get used to new throws. That's his ticket to sticking around here, because we know the org likes him well enough. He's been a good(ish) player for us through this uprise. 

17 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Put me in the same camp as @forphase1 that I really don't love that Gunnar is our only real replacement for Mateo (without Ortiz in the mix). But I'd still be very comfortable rolling out a Urias/Henderson/Westburg/O'Hearn infield 80% of the time. Mateo might want to start taking grounders from other spots on the diamond and get used to new throws. That's his ticket to sticking around here, because we know the org likes him well enough. He's been a good(ish) player for us through this uprise. 

Westburg has played mostly SS in AAA, but I agree he's not an amazing option there in MLB. Still, I'd think he is an option, at least for a few years.

A lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Being realistic, I’d say something like this:

2B: Frazier 18, Westburg 12

SS: Mateo 18, Gunnar 12

3B: Gunnar 13, Urias 10, Westburg 7

Even this could be light on the games for Mateo and Frazier. 

Edited by waroriole

20 minutes ago, waroriole said:

A lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Being realistic, I’d say something like this:

The OP said: "Tell me what you’d like to see over the next 30 games."  What you wrote is likely to happen.  What I'd like to see is Gunnar and Westburg playing every day with the rest being worked in based on matchups, health, and so forth.  I'm done watching Mateo and Frazier start but it's perfectly clear they will keep doing so.

Edited by Ripken

Part of the difficulty will be .. what do you do with Mountcastle?  These scenarios with 1b starts going to Westburg are unlikely imho.. even Urias.  Mountcastle and Ohearn will get almost all the 1b starts.  And I guess the idea of Adley playing some first has gone away for now. 

The other problem is with DH and Santander and the Hicks variable. As long as Hicks is hitting he will likely be in lineup, and so Santander and Adley are going to need to take most of DH starts.  DH getting crowded. 

Westburg will likely take 3b with Gunnar playing SS for 15 games and then play 2b for 15 games and Frazier and Urias will split some at second, Mateo will be there when Gunnar needs to play 3b or off.  Frazier could also play an occasional COF backup against righthanders or if Hays needs day off. 

23 minutes ago, Ripken said:

The OP said: "Tell me what you’d like to see over the next 30 games."  What you wrote is likely to happen.  What I'd like to see is Gunnar and Westburg playing every day with the rest being worked in based on matchups, health, and so forth.  I'm done watching Mateo and Frazier start but it's perfectly clear they will keep doing so.

Ahh, me and reading comprehension. In that case:

2B: Westburg 20, Urias 5, Frazier 5

SS: Gunnar 25, Mateo 5

3B: Urias 22, Westburg 5, Gunnar 3

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

What’s wishful thinking?  I asked what people would like to see, not to predict what would happen.  

• 2B:  Frazier 14, Westie (lots of T-shirt possibilities there) 12, Urias 4
  • SS:  Gunnar 14, Mateo 12, Westie 4
  • 3B:  Gunnar 13, Gold Glove Urias 10, Westie 7

Total Starts (Isn't that what really matter here?):  Gunnar 27, Westie 23, Frazier 14, Urias 14, Matteo 12 

Given Hyde's near-obsession with maximizing platoon matchups, I think there will be plenty of games where two guys each get 3 innings or more at a position, and some where the starter sometimes plays there for less than half a game. There also will be -- and should be -- lots of instances where a starter moves to a different position during the course of a game.