MASN adds La Canfora, Devereaux, and Brad Bach to their lineup

accinfo

15 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Who does Jason LaCanfora have photos of from the Orioles front office? I agree with @Brian88 that LaCanfora was hired to make Melanie Newman look good. LaCanfora is the worst and I haven't listened to the afternoon show on 105.7 since he took over as co-host with Ken Weinman. 

Come on, man.  Give old Dundalk Jay a break. :)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Devo got more comfortable as the weekend went along, but I don’t think he really added a ton to the broadcast.   He did have one insight about being aggressive on defense: “In order to catch the ball, you have to believe you can catch the ball.”   I think you see that all the time with players letting balls drop in front of them.  They don’t catch it because they don’t let themselves believe they can.  

LaConforta was with Melanie on the post-game show and was very talkative and animated.   Melanie was getting a huge kick out of it, grinning from ear to ear while he gesticulated wildly while making his points.  I actually really enjoyed that.  I don’t listen to Baltimore radio so I don’t really know LaConforta.  I’ve seen in this thread that he has many detractors, but in a small post-game dose I thought he did a good job. 

• Upvote 1

It felt to me like Devo had very little broadcasting experience before this. The first couple games were pretty awkward, like they brought someone into the booth for an inning who just stuck around the whole game. There wasn’t much insight, and not even many good stories. Whereas I felt like Brian Roberts was much better on the analytical side or taking you into the mind of a hitter. 

Devereaux was a bit better yesterday, but hopefully he learns quickly from someone like Ben, who just seems completely natural and at ease. I generally like a three-man both, but it’s like a pot luck: everyone’s got to bring something.

You would figure Devo has a try out and they liked what they had with him. The Os have, generally speaking, done a very solid job with judging broadcaster and analyst talent, so I’m ok giving him some time to adjust and see what he can bring.

Edited by Sports Guy

I agree Devo needs time. At times It felt like one of those in booth interviews but lasting an entire series. Other yikes you forgot he was there because he’d go nearly an entire half inning without speaking. And when he spoke he added almost nothing meaningful. 

But I like Devo and I hope he gets better. 
One thing he said that I did find insightful was that the warning track is not really much of a warning for outfielders (or at least wasn’t for him). He said the plays are happening so fast that you don’t have time to register that you’re on the track instead of grass. This was in the aftermath of Cowser not quite coming up with the catch on the triple to right center. I found that fascinating because I always assumed that the track was a vital part of knowing how much room you have before the wall. I wonder if other outfielders agree with Devo on that. 

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Devo got more comfortable as the weekend went along, but I don’t think he really added a ton to the broadcast.   He did have one insight about being aggressive on defense: “In order to catch the ball, you have to believe you can catch the ball.”   I think you see that all the time with players letting balls drop in front of them.  They don’t catch it because they don’t let themselves believe they can.  

LaConforta was with Melanie on the post-game show and was very talkative and animated.   Melanie was getting a huge kick out of it, grinning from ear to ear while he gesticulated wildly while making his points.  I actually really enjoyed that.  I don’t listen to Baltimore radio so I don’t really know LaConforta.  I’ve seen in this thread that he has many detractors, but in a small post-game dose I thought he did a good job. 

I saw the post-game show yesterday too.  I like JLC.  I think the reason he gets a bad rap is that with football, a ton of what he says proves to either be obvious or just wrong. lol.  But he was good with Melanie, who I've not really enjoyed listening to.  But what I noticed yesterday during the game was Ben doing his best to feed Devo lead-ins for him to talk.  I thought the length and weight of the bats Devo used was both funny and informative.  Ben is great to listen to.  I wasn't so sure when he started but like a wart, he's grown on me.  Love his presentation and humor.

2 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

I saw the post-game show yesterday too.  I like JLC.  I think the reason he gets a bad rap is that with football, a ton of what he says proves to either be obvious or just wrong. lol.  But he was good with Melanie, who I've not really enjoyed listening to.  But what I noticed yesterday during the game was Ben doing his best to feed Devo lead-ins for him to talk.  I thought the length and weight of the bats Devo used was both funny and informative.  Ben is great to listen to.  I wasn't so sure when he started but like a wart, he's grown on me.  Love his presentation and humor.

Yes, Ben did a really good job of getting Devo involved in the conversations.  He’s a pro.

At one point the cameras showed the three of them in the booth and Ben was holding a baseball.  The thing looked about the size of a tangerine in his hand.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Of all the extra people (that was Ben or Jim) MASN has allowed to do color commentary this season, I liked Greg Olsen the best. Roberts had a wealth of knowledge he was enthusiastic to share from a hitters perspective, which I liked, but I liked Greg's voice better.

With Mike Deveraeux, he seems to have thoughts he wants to say but then by the time it gets to his mouth he misfires and he tends to hesitate on what he's trying to say. Contrast that to Ben, and Ben is very talented at communicating the thought he has. 

Matter of fact, it was Ben McDonald who came up with the idea of giving Felix Bautista the nickname of "The Mountain".