Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Waiting for hype video (or lack thereof) and uniform number tea leaves.

I think he's solid, but guess it is not inconceivable with Hays nicked and the mid-series circumstance it could be a Drew Rom type situation.

17, good sign.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

It's official, this isn't a Hays injury replacement. IT IS GO TIME!

Now do the lineup card release!

He got a "low" number too- same as Westburg.

I think he's here for good depending on his performance.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Official moves:

Social media sites blocked by work computer.   Can someone please help me out!

I can see from a later comment that McKenna was sent down.   Who was DFA'd to make room on the 40?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

What people are saying is that they think Cowser upgrades the team because of his offensive potential and his defensive improvement.  No one has said he’s going to light the world on fire as soon as he’s brought up.  No one has said he will be the ROY despite only 3 months of at bats.  Just that he makes the team better and it’s very likely that he does.

Agreed. This is my feeling as well.

They gain Cowser's offensive potential over a guy like McKenna and don't lose anything on defense. Depending on who you talk with (myself included) some believe there is a full net gain here with Cowser being the better defender between the two of he and McKenna.

Having Cowser, who by all accounts should slide into regular duty with his promotion, allows them to match up better almost everywhere else on the field. Ced, Cowser, Hicks and even Hays can play CF. Ant should only see the OF now in extreme matching up situations against LHP or when he's given a day off and comes in to pinch-hit. They won't miss McKenna's right-handed bat because they have both Hicks and Ant who switch-hit. 

The outfield essentially becomes a legitimate platoon all the way around with the exception right now being Hays (unless he is going to miss time). This move keeps Frazier and O'Hearn out of the outfield. 

Just now, SteveA said:

Social media sites blocked by work computer.   Can someone please help me out!

I can see from a later comment that McKenna was sent down.   Who was DFA'd to make room on the 40?

Cowser and Bazardo recalled, Mckenna optioned, Bemboom Vallimont DFA

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, e16bball said:

When thinking about the ABs for Cowser and where they come from, one name I haven’t seen yet is O’Hearn — and I think that’s where they will find a lot of his ABs.

Cowser has been better against LHPs so far this season, but the book on him has always been that he has a tougher time with southpaws. That was the big knock by most of the pundits coming into the season, including Tony and Keith Law and MLB Pipeline, among others I’m sure. I’m not convinced by 60 PAs this year that his platoon tendencies are fully resolved, and I suspect the Orioles probably feel the same. I think that (plus apparent issues with good breaking stuff) was a big part of the reason they “hesitated” in bringing him up, and I think they’ll try to diminish the degree of difficulty early on by sitting him against tough lefties. 

That is pretty much where O’Hearn also lives, and I think it’s a little tricky to find the ABs against RHPs for both of them. Mullins and Hays are both pretty much must-plays in the OF based on their seasons so far (and overall careers), and Santander’s bat really needs to be in the lineup as well. Playing Cowser regularly in RF against RHPs leaves 1B and DH for Santander plus Hicks, O’Hearn, and Adley when he’s not catching. Not to mention Urias, if they’re still going to try to work him at 1B sometimes.

I think Santander/O’Hearn will probably be the most common 1B/DH configuration against RHPs, but it certainly won’t be the case every day, and that’s really the only scenario where O’Hearn finds himself in the lineup.

I think it's going to come down to O'Hearn versus Hicks for playing time.  Hicks can spell all 3 OF, DH, and play vs. LHP.  O'Hearn can only start at 1B/DH versus RHP. 

The lineup has the horses now.  Even has really good bench depth and versatitlity.  Mateo will be a weapon late in games.  Now it's just time to produce.  Eventually Mckenna goes down for Mountcastle, and Mountcastle starts versus LHP.

This is the best bench I can ever remember us having.  

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm guessing this is tonight's lineup,

1. Gunnar L SS

2. Adley S C

3. Santander S 1B

4. Hays R LF

5. Mullins L CF

6. Hicks S DH (Plays over O'Hearn to break up the lefties)

7. Cowser L RF

8. Westburg R 3B

9. Frazier L 2B

O'Hearn OPSing .874 against Righties. I think he plays tonight. If Hays is healthy tonight I see it going:

1. Ced L CF

2. Adley S C

3. Santander S DH

4. O'Hearn L 1B

5. Hays R LF

6. Gunnar L SS 

7. Frazier L 2B

8. Westburg R 3B

9. Cowser L RF