Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

37 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

And choosing the right FA SP (especially this past offseason) would required a crystal ball.

I feel like the biggest (realistic) pitcher folks were lobbying for this past off season was Bassitt, and he's having a pretty solid season. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I feel like the biggest (realistic) pitcher folks were lobbying for this past off season was Bassitt, and he's having a pretty solid season. 

@$21mil per he needs to be having a fabulous season. And for 2 more years afterwards...

• Upvote 1

The Orioles aren’t listed as a team scouting Eduardo Rodriguez in this article: https://www.mlb.com/news/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-interest-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline

The Tigers left-hander has been drawing plenty of scouts to his recent starts, with the Rangers, Rays, Reds, Phillies and D-backs among the clubs keeping a close eye on the 30-year-old.

Could easily shape up that the Orioles are not a fit for any of the notable available SP:

-Rodriguez: Not scouting him, many other clubs in on him. 
-Montgomery: Cards want pitching prospects in return, not going to give up Povich for him. 
-Snell: May not even be available, may be overly expensive given Giolito return. 
-Stroman: May not be available. 

Any other back end available SP like Flaherty, Lynn, Hill aren’t going to be worthwhile improvements over what we have. 

At this point, I’m only expecting that we come away from the deadline with a RP. 

One issue we could have is that we counted on using position guys for pitching, but lots of teams have position prospects and are looking for pitching.  The Marlins and Mariners are the opposite but seem in a bit of a stronger position.  

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

And choosing the right FA SP (especially this past offseason) would required a crystal ball.

Sure…but so what? Eovaldi was always an excellent target for upside purposes (he had his own risks) and it turned out well.

Stroman a few years ago.

The point is, you have to take chances. We are all clamoring for pieces now and they could fail too. 

The bottom line is, and this is a fact, ownership didn’t care enough to invest in the Ml roster despite a completely underwhelming payroll that they could easily add on to.  And now, because of that, we are trying to move controlled assets with legit long term value for something we could have had for just money.

Thats frustrating to me. Maybe you are ok with ownership acting that way but I’m not.

It'll be a slow unroll judging Elias on Gibson 1/10, vs. Eovaldi 3/54* or Bassitt 3/63.      I don't know that Elias will spend 2/44 or 2/53 on an innings eater for 2024-2025, and in the best case scenario he won't even need to.

Eovaldi's gets reported as the very reasonable sounding 2/34, but he earns a 1/20 player option on 2025 if he throws 300 innings this year and next.    He's in a short break right now but has put himself in great position to guarantee that 3rd year as a floor unless he can do even better.

*Eovaldi's 3/54 could I believe escalate to 3/63 if he maxes out this incentive, which for this year is just about in the bank already.

annual performance bonuses based on innings pitched: $750,000 each for 130, 140, 150, 160 IP

For this season, Gibson's been half the pitcher those guys are.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure…but so what? Eovaldi was always an excellent target for upside purposes (he had his own risks) and it turned out well.

Stroman a few years ago.

The point is, you have to take chances. We are all clamoring for pieces now and they could fail too. 

The bottom line is, and this is a fact, ownership didn’t care enough to invest in the Ml roster despite a completely underwhelming payroll that they could easily add on to.  And now, because of that, we are trying to move controlled assets with legit long term value for something we could have had for just money.

Thats frustrating to me. Maybe you are ok with ownership acting that way but I’m not.

Let’s see.  Would you rather gamble 63M on a pitcher like Bassitt and hope he stays healthy and effective for 3 years OR succeed with what you have, use 1 or 2 players you acquired for 1M or 2M (most good prospects) for a pitcher that might cost 5M-15M and you can choose off of his most recent in season performance?  OMG!   The mismanagement!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Stroman a few years ago.

Bottom line is playing this “would have/should have” game is always slanted with hindsight. Cherry pick Eovaldi here or a Stroman there…. Sure you have to take risks but… we’re past that point and looking forward to the playoffs now.

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Bottom line is playing this “would have/should have” game is always slanted with hindsight. Cherry pick Eovaldi here or a Stroman there…. Sure you have to take risks but… we’re past that point and looking forward to the playoffs now.

I really don't understand your point. There's inherent risk when you draft, trade for or sign a player. That's how the game works. You can't just not do those things because you're risk adverse. It's pretty clear that the didn't spend money last offseason because 1) they're too cheap or 2) they didn't think we'd be "this" good.  If they try to improve the pitching this coming offseason (via trade or FA signing) then it's just egregious mismanagement and a much harder slap in the face to the fanbase. 

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the criticisms of misjudging the market and hesitating are very fair criticisms. 

Even just a week or 2 ago, Elias was on air saying they didn't know what the market would be. 

It seems to me like there is a gaping hole with their ability to gather information on the other clubs and the players agents out there. They seem to fail to anticipate the supply and demand of player talent available.

Orioles might lack some intelligence gathering around the league. It would be prudent to correct that. They wouldn't want more opportunities slipping by, to the point they're wasting these best years with the players they do have.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s annoying knowing we could have signed guys to fix the issues we have and now we have to trade assets to get them. It’s a shame these last few offseasons that the FO and, more importantly, ownership haven’t believed in this team more to invest more money into areas of need.

These are both bad takes.

Misjudging the trade market?  Everyone has seen this coming.  It's a clear sellers market with people clamoring for guys who are not even available yet.

Regarding filling any of the "holes" prior to this year.  It was absurd to assume the Orioles would invest in pitching in 2021 or earlier.  They made it clear they were focused on building out their system.

As for moves in the off season?  Clearly Eovaldi would have been a good move for 2023,  but Bassit was the one that probably got away.

Many of the guys that signed have already turned into pumpkins.  I don't think it is unfair to say that if the O's had obtained a fixture for the rotation they would be in better shape, but I am not really aware of anything they failed to do.  Certainly not prior to last winter.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Great..it may be better if you just ignore this part of the conversation if it causes you this much angst.

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I really don't understand your point. There's inherent risk when you draft, trade for or sign a player. That's how the game works. You can't just not do those things because you're risk adverse. It's pretty clear that the didn't spend money last offseason because 1) they're too cheap or 2) they didn't think we'd be "this" good.  If they try to improve the pitching this coming offseason (via trade or FA signing) then it's just egregious mismanagement and a much harder slap in the face to the fanbase. 

He’s complaining that current gaps could have been fixed by signing FA instead of trading prospects.  Sure.  IF the right ones were signed.  Because the FA class is checkered with misses.  No problems with taking on appropriate risks.  Maybe I missed the context but I don’t understand tossing out that comment on a forward looking thread though.

Egregious mismanagement?  Nah.  Egregiously different than fan expectations for sure.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Great..it may be better if you just ignore this part of the conversation if it causes you this much angst.

The trade part?  Or the cherry picking FA part?  And I usually do ignore throw away comments. 

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The Orioles aren’t listed as a team scouting Eduardo Rodriguez in this article: https://www.mlb.com/news/eduardo-rodriguez-drawing-interest-at-2023-mlb-trade-deadline

The Tigers left-hander has been drawing plenty of scouts to his recent starts, with the Rangers, Rays, Reds, Phillies and D-backs among the clubs keeping a close eye on the 30-year-old.

Could easily shape up that the Orioles are not a fit for any of the notable available SP:

-Rodriguez: Not scouting him, many other clubs in on him. 
-Montgomery: Cards want pitching prospects in return, not going to give up Povich for him. 
-Snell: May not even be available, may be overly expensive given Giolito return. 
-Stroman: May not be available. 

Any other back end available SP like Flaherty, Lynn, Hill aren’t going to be worthwhile improvements over what we have. 

At this point, I’m only expecting that we come away from the deadline with a RP. 

Have you looked at Povich’s era the last 2 years? Not very impressive 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Have you looked at Povich’s era the last 2 years? Not very impressive 

I'll admit I look at ERA too, but it's a very volatile statistic that's dependent on a variant of other factors. It's better to read between the lines farther into other, more detailed, statistics.