Orioles reach AS break on a roll.

foxfield

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

That was me and I’m happy to be wrong as they appear to have righted the ship with this five game win streak. They had gone 1-6 over the week prior to the beginning of the streak, having been outscored 38-17 in that stretch. Clearly I’m not the only person who saw the rails potentially falling off last week (looking at you Mike Elias) given that they finally promoted CC and demoted McKenna. The promotion of Cowser may not have been the only reason for them to go on a roll but it’s pretty clear they are better with him than with McKenna. 

So, is it just a coincidence that they have gotten onto this role since the promotion of BOTH JW and CC? I don’t think so. Westburg not being promoted for nearly half the season was egregious. Cowser should have been getting the PT that McKenna was getting before they switched places. They now have a more complete 26 man with lots of versatility and positional flexibility. The next move is to swap Mateo for Joey Ortiz. 

As someone already mentioned...I think a lot of us wanted the moves made earlier....but looking back it is really hard to say that we were correct.  Or said more correctly, it is hard to say the organization was wrong.

The Orioles have achieved a first half record beyond everyones thoughts.  And they have found and used pieces we did not think were usable.  At some point we really have to give credit.

Now we just wanna seal the deal.

Playoffs advancement at a minimum in '23 and no holds barred going forward....did someone say liftoff?

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Yes, they need to lock Elias up.  The O's can't sign the best free agents, but the price of a veteran utility player they could probably look Elias up for 10 years.  I just want Elias locked up past the end of this lousy ownership and whatever drama happens while it is ending/O's being sold. 

I doubt that kind of money wouldn't even cover the year-end bonus from the top-ten teams.  Elias has to know that.

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

It's been very easy for the last decade to be critical and pessimistic about the O's

It's now very hard

This is very true.  There are some here who have taken complaining about the Orioles and almost made it an art form.

And yes it is getting harder.  

Growing up in Northern PA, I was a Phillies fan and they were god-awful in the late 1960's to mid-1970's. When they finally won it all in 1980, it was the most incredible feeling - to have been a loyal fan of a cellar dweller and then on top of the world.  I moved to MD in 1984 (yes, I was on the losing end in 1983 and it sucked). But now for the first time in my life I lived in a city that had a MLB team, so I started following the Orioles and hanging out at 33rd St. every chance I had....it was heaven to hear Chuck Thompson on the radio invite me out there - "still plenty of good seats, so why don't you come out and join us" then parking in Eastern HS parking lot for $2, getting an Upper box seat for $7, bringing my own beer and then watching other teams with players like George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, etc. stream through there (and usually get beat, too).

But I have never been able to enjoy MY team winning (or even playing in) the WS since 1980.  I want that experience again...it's indescribable for a true fan who has lived through the darkest days.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Spakman said:

The whining was monumental. 

And will be again, the minute we lose, say, three games in a row, or six out of ten.  Or only score five runs in three games.   That’s just the nature of the beast.  Honestly I think the players are much calmer about the inevitable cold spells than the majority of fans are. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

And will be again, the minute we lose, say, three games in a row, or six out of ten.  Or only score five runs in three games.   That’s just the nature of the beast.  Honestly I think the players are much calmer about the inevitable cold spells than the majority of fans are. 

It feels like about half the posters on this message board are best summarized by Randy Quaid's character in Major League 2.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:04 PM, slakattack said:

Growing up in Northern PA, I was a Phillies fan and they were god-awful in the late 1960's to mid-1970's. When they finally won it all in 1980, it was the most incredible feeling - to have been a loyal fan of a cellar dweller and then on top of the world.  I moved to MD in 1984 (yes, I was on the losing end in 1983 and it sucked). But now for the first time in my life I lived in a city that had a MLB team, so I started following the Orioles and hanging out at 33rd St. every chance I had....it was heaven to hear Chuck Thompson on the radio invite me out there - "still plenty of good seats, so why don't you come out and join us" then parking in Eastern HS parking lot for $2, getting an Upper box seat for $7, bringing my own beer and then watching other teams with players like George Brett, Robin Yount, Paul Molitor, Wade Boggs, Don Mattingly, etc. stream through there (and usually get beat, too).

But I have never been able to enjoy MY team winning (or even playing in) the WS since 1980.  I want that experience again...it's indescribable for a true fan who has lived through the darkest days.

I became an Oriole fan from Virginia because we went to see the Orioles at Memorial.  It was the closest to us and we always saw the Cleveland Indians as that is the team my Dad adored.  An awful lot of what you say above rings true.  

The drought is pretty tough, regardless of whether it is from 1980 or 1983.  But welcome aboard and I hope the end is somewhere closer on the horizon.

On 7/9/2023 at 3:38 PM, Orioles Jim said:

It’s gonna be tough not getting my O’s fix until Friday!!!

tfw you have to resort to Brian Kenney to get fresh baseball programming while waiting for Friday's game

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47tll0d8ioca87eul9ex

On 7/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, FlipTheBird said:

It feels like about half the posters on this message board are best summarized by Randy Quaid's character in Major League 2.

In fairness, that’s still a lot better than the posters on social media outlets, who are best summarized by Randy Quaid’s character in Christmas Vacation.