Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

To make room for Ryan Mountcastle, the O’s optioned Bruce Zimmermann and went with 14 position players for one day before the ASB.   Obviously, they won’t keep 14 position players for more than a day or two (if that) after the break ends.

I was in favor of leaving Mountcastle in the minors, but the O’s chose otherwise, and I seriously doubt they are sending him back down after bringing him back.  So, what do you think the move is, when they need to get back down to 13 position players?   

I don’t think the O’s will DFA Mateo, Frazier or Hicks at this point, though I could see a move like that around the trade deadline if a trade doesn’t occur.  So, I think either Cowser or Westburg goes down, much as I hate that idea.

If I’m wrong, and the O’s decide to bite the bullet now, I think DFAing Mateo is the most likely move.  

I am all out of guesses because of how the roster has been managed so far this year. I think that you are spot-on that it is going to be someone like CC or JW even though it should be Jorge, as disappointing as that is for me personally being such a big fan of Jorge.

If they do make a move with Mateo I hope that there is a corresponding move to get Ortiz onto the 26 man for good. As well as Gunnar has played at SS, Ortiz is the better defender there and to me, Gunnar looks better at third. The roster crunch is going to be tougher for them to manage in the second half.

I don’t think that it’s Frazier because of his ability to play the outfield (though I realize that Jorge has played some outfield prior to the O’s). I could see them use Hicks Achilles for an IL stint. I could see them send Mountcastle back to Norfolk. I could even see them swap out a pitcher for GrayRod and play the options game for a bit. I just have no confidence in thinking that I can predict what they’ll do, which is somewhat exciting as a fan. 

I have a feeling there will be some type of solution we aren't aware of that allows us to keep Mountcastle and avoid DFA Mateo or Frazier. Could be shuttling pitchers or an injury we don't know about. Push come to shove I would lose Frazier, but it's close. He is a way better hitter than Mateo but you want your utility guy to be a great defender. He is left handed but Cowser and Hicks give us good balance vs RHP. 

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I have a feeling there will be some type of solution we aren't aware of that allows us to keep Mountcastle and avoid DFA Mateo or Frazier. Could be shuttling pitchers or an injury we don't know about. Push come to shove I would lose Frazier, but it's close. He is a way better hitter than Mateo but you want your utility guy to be a great defender. He is left handed but Cowser and Hicks give us good balance vs RHP. 

Mateo isn’t a uti guy and even if he was, you have zero idea if he’s a great defender anywhere else.

Ortiz takes away the need for Mateo’s defense.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I just can't wrap my head around how people try to come up with reasons and scenarios to keep Mateo. I have nothing against him, and he really seems like a decent guy, but he has no value as an Oriole. 

People like shiny things.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

People like shiny things.

I really think people want to come up with edgy ideas and such just so that they can say they were right every now and again. Sending Cowser down, or Westburg to "rosturbate" room for Mateo would be epically stupid. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I just can't wrap my head around how people try to come up with reasons and scenarios to keep Mateo. I have nothing against him, and he really seems like a decent guy, but he has no value as an Oriole. 

I don’t know that Jorge is completely devoid of value but as the year goes the, less and less he seems to offer outside of good defense. He’s approaching a .100 BA for almost ten weeks of the season. I don’t care if he’s Ozzie Smith out there. They can’t sustain that legitimately black hole in the lineup. 

I feel for him and if this was any of the five previous years I would advocate for keeping him in hopes that they could get him figured out but coming out of the break the O’s are in a virtual tie for the division lead. They can’t afford to keep anyone who doesn’t offer them better than average production in all facets of their game. 

I don’t  know what they’ll do but in my opinion, in order the moves should go something like:

DFA Jorge

Explore trade for Frazier 

Option Mountcastle

IL someone (Hicks/Achilles?)

I agree with @Frobby though that it’ll disappointingly be Cowser or Westburg to go. I think they need JW more right now but I guess we will see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Frazier is slower, has less power and is worse at the defensive positions that he plays.

I’d put Frazier and RMC on roughly the same level, but I do value Frazier’s experience. The bigger point is that Mountcastle can be optioned between the two.