Yankee fan criticizes the O's- calls them a "smoke and mirrors" team...

DocJJ

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't thing there is much to any chance of this at all being the case. At the end of the day, it is a business for them. The org will have to do right and stop being cheap if you want to retain premium talent.

You can look at it as a business and still cash in a bit.  There is a reason some of these players are willing to do it.  Of course, it does seem to be more the the International players that are a little less risk averse. 

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

On that topic, I just found this article...

https://pressboxonline.com/2023/05/29/former-gm-jim-bowden-orioles-should-hold-off-on-extension-talks-until-november/#:~:text=However%2C Henderson is represented by,on the free-agent market.

I don't know anything about Bowden. But I do know it's more complicated with Scott Boras being Gunnar's agent. We might have already missed the opportunity to extend him, and if that's the case, than Bowden would have been wrong in his quasi advice.

Another factor working against us fans, is that it seems like the front office feels they are pretty good at drafting and developing shortstops, and our placeholder "owner" suggested that the model they want to emulate is the replacement theory that the Rays use. 

Boras does what his guys want.  He has done extensions in the past at their insistence.  Guys that choose him often are inclined to take the risk though. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

You can look at it as a business and still cash in a bit.  There is a reason some of these players are willing to do it.  Of course, it does seem to be more the the International players that are a little less risk averse. 

The ones who are willing to do it want the bigger pay day now in order to minimizing injury risk later. I don't think many care more about playing with their teammate/buddy friend/co-worker than they do about getting big time money.

Boras is definitely not going to be going along with that type of reasoning with Holliday and Henderson. And before anyone says that Boras works for said player. The reason that these guys hire a guy like Boras is to get them the most money possible. Not ride backseat so that they can play "buddy ball".

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

The ones who are willing to do it want the bigger pay day now in order to minimizing injury risk later. I don't think many care more about playing with their teammate/buddy friend/co-worker than they do about getting big time money.

Boras is definitely not going to be going along with that type of reasoning with Holliday and Henderson. And before anyone says that Boras works for said player. The reason that these guys hire a guy like Boras is to get them the most money possible. Not ride backseat so that they can play "buddy ball".

Counterpoint:  Schoop.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Counterpoint:  Schoop.

Schoop took less money to sign with the Tigers? If so, I didn't know that. But even if true, do you think that Gunnar and Holliday who in all likelihood will have much bigger/higher contract offers than Schoop are going to take less money to play with their "friends"? 

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Schoop took less money to sign with the Tigers? If so, I didn't know that. But even if true, do you think that Gunnar and Holliday who in all likelihood will have much bigger/higher contract offers than Schoop are going to take less money to play with their "friends"? 

No idea if he took less money or not.

He told Boras, who was working for him, that he wanted to extend with the Tigers during the season.  Boras, the employee, did as he was told by his boss.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It must be exhausting to be a baseball fan and worry about Scott Boras. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh my God. More “BORAS IS TEH DEBBIL” talk. 

Anyway, whatever Yankoff fan posted that is jealous. That team is being held together with bubble gum, duct tape and Aaron Judge’s big toe. They have some decent pitching but that’s about it. 

Judge leads all Yankees hitters in home runs and is second in RBI’s. Judge hasn’t played in a game since June 3rd.