Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

11 minutes ago, Ripken said:

We gotta do something.  The 5th starter right now is Irvin, the bullpen, or somebody from Norfolk.  They just had Bautista throw a ton of pitches to secure tonight's game so the bullpen is in trouble tomorrow.  I just don't see this pitching staff, as is, making it two more full months and then having much left to grind through the post season.  They need help.  Sure, it'd be great if Means, Hall, a refreshed Wells or some other org guy can contribute I don't see enough here right now.

Ideally we add a starting pitcher and reliever tomorrow before the 6pm trade deadline. Of course with every contender chasing pitching, it will be interesting to see what prospects Elias trades to upgrade the O's for postseason baseball.

2 minutes ago, pdiddy said:

Concur. I do also thing we see McDermott or Povich in the pen at some point down the stretch though.

If this was under the old September rules then 100% we’d see Povich and McDermott. With only being able to have a 28 man roster, we just need an experienced reliever that has been there before. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ideally we add a starting pitcher and reliever tomorrow before the 6pm trade deadline. Of course with every contender chasing pitching, it will be interesting to see what prospects Elias trades to upgrade the O's for postseason baseball.

Agreed and, of course, no one wants to give up major pieces for rentals and/or mediocre players.  There's obviously a balance but I just do not believe they can win in the playoffs without adding arms.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yes. There’s enough value there to be the highest bid, and it’s enough of spare parts to hurt less than it looks. We’d be favored with Ed Rod in a home playoff game versus anyone other than Cole. The bullpen could also use a fresh arm. 

I’m all for adding ERod, but there are many AL starters that we would not be favored against with him on the mound in a playoff game (McLanahan, Glasnow, Gausman, Scherzer, Valdez, etc.). 

11 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

I’m all for adding ERod, but there are many AL starters that we would not be favored against with him on the mound in a playoff game (McLanahan, Glasnow, Gausman, Scherzer, Valdez, etc.). 

We’ve already beaten half of those chumps WITHOUT Rodriguez.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

I’m talking about at OPACY. Not on the road. I think we’d be slight favorites against all of them come playoff time. 

Elias is not stupid at all.  If he cant get us the pitching we think we need it will because the other teams are driving a hard bargain maybe so steep Elias cant convince himself it is fair.  

I hope we get a starter and another bullpen arm.  If we cant I guess we will have to take a deep breath and ride this thing to the bitter end.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Elias is not stupid at all.  If he cant get us the pitching we think we need it will because the other teams are driving a hard bargain maybe so steep Elias cant convince himself it is fair.  

I hope we get a starter and another bullpen arm.  If we cant I guess we will have to take a deep breath and ride this thing to the bitter end.  

Well I guess there’s only one thing left to do, then. 

Win the whole effing thing.

image.gif.a1ee371607dae2e1469f7ed2cd948dac.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Its July 31st and we are in 1st place in the toughest division in baseball and have the best record in the AL.  I think most would agree we don't need to make a big splash. We have a good thing going right now with some good chemistry amongst these guys. 

We have a young pitching staff who are already approaching career highs in innings and its only August. Wells based off his recent struggles likely already has some arm fatigue. Can we realistically count on  Wells, Bradish, Kremer and G-Rod to be at their best down the stretch. I don't think so and if Elias doesn't address that in someway, shape or form that's going to be a huge let down. 

While its clear that Elias and Co. know how to draft and develop, but can they negotiate trades and fa signings?

23 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Agreed and, of course, no one wants to give up major pieces for rentals and/or mediocre players.  There's obviously a balance but I just do not believe they can win in the playoffs without adding arms.  

I think major piece is unlikely, but not totally out of the question if Elias lands the right pitcher who isn't just a rental.