Monday, July 24: Orioles visit the Phillies

SteveA

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Aren't you not allowed to slide past the base like that anymore? What happened to that rule?

He didn't slide past the bag, technically speaking.  It's usually only called if you can't reach the bag anymore at the end of your slide but the runner there never really left the bag.

5 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Thanks. That's bush league 100%.

That pic is BS. Dudes foot hit the bag and then popped up and caught Mateo in the shin. 

You’re also not seeing the baserunner try to catch Mateo on the way down and apologize to him. 

But hey, let’s all believe that he got spiked intentionally because….why?

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Great post and pretty much the same as what I have been saying about JH.  I still think he will be a very good player.  I just don't see elite ELITE in him.   And I think because he was 1 and 1 and blew through the minors so quickly, many just assume he will be the next superstar in MLB.    But as I have said before, he doesn't flash to me like a superstar should.  He performs well, but more so because he is just a really good baseball player, not because he is a freak athletically.   A special special player should not look like he did this spring with the Os.   He was overwhelmed in all aspects.  As he gets older he can gain experience and I am sure he will come back up and look better.  But superstar?  Not imo.  Meanwhile in relation to the second post that you made about JH versus GH, again we agree and this is the exact same as what I have been saying since I first really saw GH play when they brought him up 2 years ago.  He flashes more than the sirens at a 5 alarm fire.   Hitting.  Power.  Speed.  Defense.   Intense desire to win.  Leadership.  I see it all.  He makes plays and does athletic things that JH can only dream about.  And the reason why?  He is a superb....as in extra special athlete.  Not just baseball player.   And that is why I think, as long as he stays healthy, he has the capability to go down as one of the greatest players of all time. 
    • Probably not, as to your question.    That’s 3 top ten picks in our system and Kjerstad is top 25 on many sites.   You think they can do better?
    • I’d rather we get a buy low candidate or 2 at the deadline like Trevor Rogers and make a meaningful trade in the offseason when the leverage is less balance towards the seller.
    • Ok, I’m just curious why?   Fedde is signed at 7.5M for next year and has been a very solid #2-#3 type starter this year.  McDermott is most likely a reliever.  Chace has talent but has control issues as well.  Bradfield needs to hit.  Is Bradfield the biggest deterrent or just the whole thing?
    • If the arm is an issue then CF makes less sense than 2B, given defense is such a priority. Of if CF is such a priority need for us, then just trade him as a 2B for someone else's star young CFer.
    • I disagree on Means.   I think it was perfectly reasonable to expect that by the end of the season and in the playoffs we would have a good John Means in the top 3 of our rotation.     Peak Means?   I don't know about that.   But certainly a servicable Means.   While there are pitchers that have had two Tommy John's, it is very rare that the second one pops up as quickly as his did.   Most are aeparated by years.   We knew at the start of the year that he was behind in prep for the season, and certainly it was reasonable to expect that we might not have him for much of the first 2-3 months of the season.     But anticipating a 2nd Tommy John?   I don't think so.
    • I think his upside in pay would be higher as a CFer vs second base but that’s purely speculative on my part. I just think CF makes more sense for us because of the personnel we have.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now