A little worried about the offense

interloper

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Absolutely a big drop off from Henderson to Mateo.   We really need Cowser to turn the corner.  That’s no sure thing but Cowser and Westburg could be a huge shot in the arm.  Westburg jacked one just foul last night. Cowser has been doing a little better but I sure would like to see his first ML homer and see him get on a roll.

A little better?  Not seeing much statistical evidence yet unfortunately ..we hope, but hope gets you zip.  His last 14 games  he has hit .080 with .370 OPS. Where is the little better part? He has been the worst hitter playing regularly for a month .. worse than Mateo , worse than anyone on the roster. 
i hope he breakouts soon too because when Hicks AND Mullins return then he sits or back to Norfolk if McKenna gets hot. 

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Are you factoring in Mateo and McKenna's better production vs lefties when you paint them as automatic outs?

Same thing could have been said about the lineup vs McClanahan Saturday, and Mateo and McCann had back to back run scoring hits.

Mateo’s numbers are inflated from the earlier success.  He's been terrible overall, even against lefties, for a while now.   Yes he had a big hit against McClanahan, but that's been the rare exception for him lately, and far from the rule.  

As to McKenna, he's actually more of an automatic out against lefties than righties.  His .ops is better against lefties, but his OBP is higher against RHP.  But both are close to auto outs, and throw McCann in you've 3 outs back to back to back.   Talk about a break for the pitcher!  Hate that we are running out a lineup like this. 

7 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

In another thread I expressed that this team has had eight hits or less over the past 25 games, 15 times. And that was with the real offense mostly.

Another game with 8 hits.. This time the pitching wasn't good enough. 

10 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

I don’t think Adley is the type of player to carry a team offensively. For us to reach where we all want to be, I am hoping he is the 3/4/5th best offensive guy we have. That will certainly take some time.

To your original point, now would really be a good time for scorching hot Ryan Mountcastle.

I was thinking about this too.  That is, for how frustrating Mountcastle can be, the guy can be as dynamic as anyone when he’s on a heater.  The O’s could really use a Mountcastle heater over the next week or two.

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I doubt it happens, but at the very least I want Elias to inquire the Cardinals about Paul Goldschmidt. Or maybe instead the Orioles get Cody Bellinger.

With Mullins hurt and now Hicks out Bellinger is more than capable of playing CF and he's got his hitting stroke back.

I'm with you there. We need more 3 run Home Runs in this offense.