“Ortiz is going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place”

OakOrioles

Elias last night on Ortiz. Does he really believe that with Holliday pounding on the door next year potentially or is he trying to fluff the trade value in the next few days? Hmm. 

Elias said Norfolk shortstop Joey Ortiz will “come up again to help us.” He’s batting .338/.392/.562 in 55 games with the Tides.

“I think he’s going to have a long future as a starting shortstop, and here is the most likely place,” Elias said. “We’re thrilled that we have him right now kind of waiting in the wings.

"We love Joey Ortiz, we love having him as part of our future."

51 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I had a long reply on Joey typed out on the other thread about him but the GD ads redirected me and I lost it. So f’ing annoying.

If you can, do yourself a favor and watch some Tides games. I dare you to not find an appreciation for how good Joey Ortiz is at baseball if you do. I dare you. 

I don't think there is a single person who doesn't think he's the best defender in the system.

Just now, banks703 said:

I’m talking about his overall play, not just his defense. 

Everyone is hitting like an all-star in the IL this year. Since Westburg came up the Tides don't even have anyone in the top 20 in OPS, I believe.

I think Ortiz is probably the best defender in the system.  His combination of hands, body control, arm, and ability to make difficult plays look routine, seems to be the best.   I can’t say for sure that he has better range nor the arm of Henderson or Mateo as a SS.   I do find the plays Ortiz makes at Norfolk to be nothing short of amazing.  He has a very quick catch and release on tough plays.   He just looks to be on a level.  Like an Ozzie Smith level.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I think Ortiz is probably the best defender in the system.  His combination of hands, body control, arm, and ability to make difficult plays look routine, seems to be the best.   I can’t say for sure that he has better range nor the arm of Henderson or Mateo as a SS.   I do find the plays Ortiz makes at Norfolk to be nothing short of amazing.  He has a very quick catch and release on tough plays.   He just looks to be on a level.  Like an Ozzie Smith level.

He's certainly a lock to stick a SS. It's just really hard to gauge hitters in the IL this year because everyone is hitting the cover off the ball.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m not ready to put him on the same level was The Wizard but Joey is very good. His arm is a tick below Gunnar and Jorge, for sure but those two have two of the stronger infield arms in all of baseball so that’s nothing to snooze at in my opinion.

Joey put in the work to improve his offensive game to be better than replacement level. Is he going to be a superstar in Baltimore (or somewhere else if he’s traded)? No but he will still be very good. On D he’s somewhere between Manny’s peak at third and steady JJ Hardy, which is a very good defensive player. 

Some of what's been exciting this past month is Gunnar looking good at SS, but if he's still here Wednesday I do hope we get a decent test run of Gunnar-Ortiz-Westburg as an anti-veteranosity group.

How much do we need to worry on the Cowser-Hicks scale that Joey Ortiz can't outplay Ramon Urias RIGHT NOW?

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

He's certainly a lock to stick a SS. It's just really hard to gauge hitters in the IL this year because everyone is hitting the cover off the ball.

He loves to go to RF which I love to see.   I have seen him vulnerable to chasing the bad breaking pitch.   I envision a .280 hitter with 40-50 walks, 30 doubles and 15+ home runs.  Combined with his defense that’s a pretty sold ML SS.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

He loves to go to RF which I love to say.  I have seen him vulnerable to chasing the bad breaking pitch.   I envision a .280 hitter with 40-50 walks, 30 doubles and 15+ home runs.  Combined with his defense that’s a pretty sold ML SS.

Borderline all-star with his defense, I'd take that over Mateo.