Big Mike is 8-0 out of the pen this year

banks703

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's a vulture.

Vulture is a term used to describe relief pitchers who come into games and scavenge wins.

I believe it dates all the way back to Phil Regan, who went 14-1 as a reliever for the ‘66 Dodgers. 

11 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

9Q9u.gif

Yup.. I'm all for it though. I'll take double-digit wins from a guy like Baumann so long as he isn't blowing leads only for the team to come back in their half of the inning and he be credited with the W. Like @Tony-OH mentioned, I do think it's a credit to how many close games Big Mike has pitched and kept the game in reach for one of the O's patented comeback victories. 

Edited by banks703

26 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I think you're right that he is at his best in that role. I just think that they will go into spring and stretch him out again just because you can never have too many options for starting pitching, though I think (again) you're right that the starting ship has sailed for Big Mike. 

The question that I have for you @Tony-OH (and I ask this with my opinion that Baumann will get better with more time in his relief role), who do you prefer out of Big Mike and his potential or peak Tommy Hunter?

Tommy Hunter is actually a pretty good comp for Baumann. They bring similar styles of pitching and both would tantalize you with stuff at times to make you think they can be even better, but they ultimately are better in those middle innings relief roles where they can provide some length. 

Baumann though gives up much less homers so I'd probably take him over peak year Hunter though his 2014 season was very good and big part of bridging to the big three at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Tommy Hunter is actually a pretty good comp for Baumann. They bring similar styles of pitching and both would tantalize you with stuff at times to make you think they can be even better, but they ultimately are better in those middle innings relief roles where they can provide some length. 

Baumann though gives up much less homers so I'd probably take him over peak year Hunter though his 2014 season was very good and big part of bridging to the big three at the end of the year.

I'm with you and probably take Big Mike.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm a huge fan of Big Mike. If he's a vulture that's just fine. Better to get the wins than to let them slip away. He's good in this role and can hopefully grow into a high leverage reliever with more experience. Pitching in the MLB in any role is f___ing hard to do. Glad he has a spot in the bullpen and is helping the O's win.

• Upvote 2

9-0 out of the pen. Don’t tell me Wins aren’t a meaningful stat for pitchers anymore. With 52 games remaining I have two questions:

The obvious question - How many W’s will he end up with on the year?

The more obscure question - Could he lead the team in W’s out of the pen? 

McNally (15-0 in 1969) and Rhodes (9-0 in 1996) are the only 2 Orioles other than Baumann ever to start 9-0 or better.

Has he vulched some wins?  Sure, but tonight he inherited a tie game with runners at the corners and 1 out, got a DP on 3 pitches, and pitched another full inning on 7 more pitches while the team scored him 8 runs.  Not only did he save the game, but he's ready to pitch again on Saturday, if needed.

Over his last 15 outings (since 6/24) his line:

IP: 17.1

H: 12

BB: 9

K: 14

HR: 0

IR: 10

IS: 2

ERA: 1.04

W/L: 5-0

He's supplanted Baker and still ahead of Fuji in terms of his worthiness for high-leverage situations.

1 hour ago, Filmstudy said:

McNally (15-0 in 1969) and Rhodes (9-0 in 1996) are the only 2 Orioles other than Baumann ever to start 9-0 or better.

Has he vulched some wins?  Sure, but tonight he inherited a tie game with runners at the corners and 1 out, got a DP on 3 pitches, and pitched another full inning on 7 more pitches while the team scored him 8 runs.  Not only did he save the game, but he's ready to pitch again on Saturday, if needed.

Over his last 15 outings (since 6/24) his line:

IP: 17.1

H: 12

BB: 9

K: 14

HR: 0

IR: 10

IS: 2

ERA: 1.04

W/L: 5-0

He's supplanted Baker and still ahead of Fuji in terms of his worthiness for high-leverage situations.

No doubt. He’s thrived in this role. Really happy to see him succeeding. Big fan of Big Mike.