Big Mike is 8-0 out of the pen this year

banks703

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

A bit of an underrated guy. He has contributed this year. Wouldn't be my top choice for 8th and 9th but he is always there when you need him. I like him better than Baker and about equal to Coulombe depending on matchups.

He may unspectacularly win double digit games this year. I think he’s a candidate for his roster spot to upgraded (justifiably so) but they could do a lot worse than what he’s given them this year. Regarding their rotation woes, I suspect he will be stretched out again going into the spring but he’s performed decently in his role this year.

It’d certainly be nice to have a bullpen of guys who all sport sub 3 ERAs but I’m ok with Big Mike out there, especially at home where he’s thrown 28 innings and given up only 5 ERs. 

Probably in the best role for him now.  He’s almost a long relief guy who can go 2-3 innings earlier in the game.   Another setup guy will cement him in that role.   Fuji, Coulombe, Cano, and Felix, plus one more should have 7-9 covered and sometimes 6.   Baumann and Baker if the starter comes up short.

Baumann collecting another one last night is a sharp example how the game getting tougher and decent length pitchers not being able to cover 5 innings routinely tilts the W-L odds towards Relievers.

The Orioles don't score runs last night - its Kremer who gets the L.

I don't think it would be a terrible idea if MLB shortened the requirement to 4 innings for the SP.    Intensity ramping up as tournament approaches, SP are going to get hooked after 18 Batters Faced (e.g., in World Series Game 4, Kremer isn't facing Acuna or Mookie in a big 5th inning spot) more often.    Sometimes even when they pitch well that doesn't translate to 15 outs.

Mychal Givens did pitch somewhat worse in Year 3, but he had a 3-year run where he went 8-2, 8-1 and 0-7.

By the way, I love that they pulled Kremer in the 5th with no outs and a 5 run lead.  And he didn’t cry about it.  Good team win.  There was a time when managers might give more of a chance to pick up the win.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Last night was a classic example of why reliever wins are a meaningless stat.  Baumann comes in with a 7 run lead, pitches an inning and allows a hit and a long sac fly, and is credited with a win.  He’s having a decent year, but I don’t trust him to strand inherited runners — 39% have scored, which is a poor ratio.  Still, he’s had value.  

Mike came into the season with 81 days of service time over 2 years.   Basically a half year of experience.    This is his first full year.    I think he is learning and will improve.   He has the arm and is developing the pitches to be a good reliever.

Mike had that arm injury in AA which cost him development time.  He is 27.   But  he appears to be fully healthy now and could be a part of this team for 4 years or so.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

By the way, I love that they pulled Kremer in the 5th with no outs and a 5 run lead.  And he didn’t cry about it.  Good team win.  There was a time when managers might give more of a chance to pick up the win.

The weird thing about it was that he looked like he had good stuff.   Yet another time when these guys just lose command.   

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nah, I don't think so. Like with Akin, Baumann was a guy screaming to be made into a reliever. He's finally been converted and not surprisingly, has had some success. 

Baumann is the new Sammy Stewart. He pitches pretty well in the middle of games and can be lengthened out when needed. This is a good role for him IMHO.

I think you're right that he is at his best in that role. I just think that they will go into spring and stretch him out again just because you can never have too many options for starting pitching, though I think (again) you're right that the starting ship has sailed for Big Mike. 

The question that I have for you @Tony-OH (and I ask this with my opinion that Baumann will get better with more time in his relief role), who do you prefer out of Big Mike and his potential or peak Tommy Hunter?