Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I doubt Elias is looking for Flaherty to pitch in the playoffs.  I think that ship has sailed.  The question is does he make it through the rest for the regular season.

I don't think that ship has sailed. I think it's prepared to sail, but it hasn't sailed yet. Flaherty has playoff experience and I think Elias values that which was part of the reason he went out and got him. 

Now, has Flaherty pitched himself into a situation where his roster spot of tenable at bets? I think so, but until he's DFA'd, Elias very well may still give him another chance and if he pitches well, he could still be on a playoff roster.

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

This is where Flaherty puts a few good starts together and the board does a 180 and wants him to start game 1 in the playoffs and praises his demeanor on the mound.

He's shown the ability to be very good over stretches this season. The question is whether he's worn out or not IMHO. He's throw 1130 more pitches than he's thrown in any season since 2019. His fastball has lost a little but under a MPH, but has gained 2.3 inches of vertical drop which means it remains truer and that has turned his fastball from a good pitch to a very hittable pitch. 

Flaherty is clearly not the guy he was in 2019 which is why cost three prospects on the fringe of the top 30 vs a potential impact one for the stretch drive. I wish the stuff gave me more hope but I think while he can use guile to at times to get through a lineup once or twice occasionally, I don't see him suddenly becoming a guy you can count on down the stretch or in the playoffs.

Then again, we don't know whether Bradish, Kremer or Grod will hold up either because they've never been here in a playoff race at this many pitches/innings.

Means could be a huge boost to this team come playoff time. We just need to see what he has in the tank after the surgery and back injury. The stuff was a little down in AAA from his major league stuff a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

I think Flaherty gets another start, if for no other reason than the Os can afford to give him one. I just hope it isn’t in the TB series. But if that series goes well, I could see him starting one of the games in Houston just to give him another chance to show something. 

I'm going on the 16th.  It's my only game I'll be able to get to.  I really hope it's not Flaherty pitching.  

He has been getting a lot of Ks and missing a lot of bats since he got here.

The problem has been his command and his control. He is simply not throwing enough strikes and not enough “good strikes”. He has thrown too many hittable pitches.

He can be very good and I still feel he can be one of our better guys in the playoffs and maybe he can be a difference maker in the pen.

Definitely been a disappointment though. Still glad they made the trade, as it was a worthwhile risk.

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He has been getting a lot of Ks and missing a lot of bats since he got here.

The problem has been his command and his control. He is simply not throwing enough strikes and not enough “good strikes”. He has thrown too many hittable pitches.

He can be very good and I still feel he can be one of our better guys in the playoffs and maybe he can be a difference maker in the pen.

Definitely been a disappointment though. Still glad they made the trade, as it was a worthwhile risk.

I assume that Means is going to take his place in the rotation and that Flaherty will end up in the bullpen as well. We seem to have a ton of LHPs in our pen, so this should actually help balance that out a bit. He could be good as a 6 out reliever.

On 9/10/2023 at 2:21 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Not an apologist here.  His performance hasn't been good but I don't know how anyone can make any informed statements about his attitude and it being a cancer on the team.  There haven't been any reports about that.

guilty here... interviews and other arbitrary things for feeling that way. Sometimes, emotions take the place of common sense.

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

I assume that Means is going to take his place in the rotation and that Flaherty will end up in the bullpen as well. We seem to have a ton of LHPs in our pen, so this should actually help balance that out a bit. He could be good as a 6 out reliever.

Pitching out of the bullpen maybe Flaherty will throw with a little more velocity knowing he's only going to be pitching for 2 or maybe 3 innings at the most.

Even then I wouldn't trust Flaherty in any high leverage situations.

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Pitching out of the bullpen maybe Flaherty will throw with a little more velocity knowing he's only going to be pitching for 2 or maybe 3 innings at the most.

Even then I wouldn't trust Flaherty in any high leverage situations.

I probably wouldn't either. I'd rather see him in +/- 4 run situations for a while. With only 3 weeks left, there's probably not going to be many of those, but who knows. We know there's plenty of value in that, and pairing him with Irvin in that role gives us LH/RH options to flip the lineup depending on who started for us that day.

• Upvote 1

Demeanor on the mound. Was he suppose to be all smiley?? The mound without having your stuff and struggling is a pretty lonely place to be. You try things and they don't work and it gets lonelier. Gibson for the most part seems to be able to struggle through rough spots, not pretty but he often finds a way. Flaherty does not have the ability. GR yesterday in many ways reverted to his earlier starts. Up, 0-2, 1-2 and loses the batter....walk, HBP, hits. High pitch counts. People like it when he K's people. I prefer innings with pop-ups, weak ground balls and a low pitch count. It didn't happen yesterday. Flaherty disappoints, but I'm more worried about GR. Too many innings?? Just a hiccup. I don't know.

3 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Dude sucks. You can tell Hyde is not a fan either. Here’s hoping Means is nails and we can send Flaherty packing.

This goes back to what I was talking about yesterday with his demeanor.  He just seems like an unlikable guy and someone who has packed it in for the year.

Some of you the other guys here can poo poo it all they want to but having been on many sports teams throughout my life, guys with attitudes like JF don't last long and their teammates are fine with that.  He should be thankful he has a second chance.  Especially in a contract year. 

He seems to care less.

He had the same rep with the Cardinals.  He seemed more concerned about expressing his far left wing woke politics than pitching well. 

Seems like a total headcase.  Not an Oriole.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

5 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I probably wouldn't either. I'd rather see him in +/- 4 run situations for a while. With only 3 weeks left, there's probably not going to be many of those, but who knows. We know there's plenty of value in that, and pairing him with Irvin in that role gives us LH/RH options to flip the lineup depending on who started for us that day.

This is basically what they did with Fuji when they could and, hopefully, he seems to have turned the corner.  If Means is able to even get half a start and we have a 3-4 run lead, that's Flaherty time and then run the bullpen as usual.