Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

What a crock you are trying to pass off.  From one side of your mouth you blame the Orioles recent decades of losing on the owner.  Then they change their methods and approach and become successful and you want to just credit that to dumb luck and maybe expert advise from yourself.  I look at the owners as a "necessary evil". They seem to be keeping their noses out of the baseball operations quite well recently, so I really don't care about filling out a spreadsheet about grading their morals, family relations and personal hygiene.   These broadcasters are likely all egotist and divas who compete with each other, backstab and are looking to become personalities who have social followings.  I have 3 daughters, and some of the stuff I am seeing here reminds me of "mean girl cliques" in 4th grade elementary school.

Let's get legal then.  Combine this with your earlier comment about Brown being a diva.  Brown would have a better case to litigate you for defamation, because of a complete lack of evidence, than the Orioles would have to litigate the hundreds of people slamming Angelos for defamation, because there will be a dozen people capable of taking the stand to confirm what happened. 

It wouldn't be practical of course because a few comments on a message board won't really hurt Brown nor justify the cost in court.

3 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

First place Baby.   Hear it and weep.

I am not weeping, champ. I am thoroughly enjoying the season, while also recognizing the shortcomings of ownership. You know, the kind of dumb stuff that can...and has with this same team and the same family...derail success. But everything is sunshine and rainbows, baby.   

25 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

No one in their right mind would pick up Brown to do their broadcasts. Sorry but baseball announcers are nice (if they stick to baseball) but replacable. NO ORGANIZATION needs a diva who causes problems for their employer.  He should find another line or work.  This is not the place for "social influencers" or the Kardashians groupies.   Please remember that there have been a series of different broadcasters for the O's this year.  It might just be as simple as they felt his style was not where they wanted to be going.  That is okay, but all the drama queens got themselves involved.

Time to pass the doobie, bro.  Seriously.

9 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

What a crock you are trying to pass off.  From one side of your mouth you blame the Orioles recent decades of losing on the owner.  Then they change their methods and approach and become successful and you want to just credit that to dumb luck and maybe expert advise from yourself.  I look at the owners as a "necessary evil". They seem to be keeping their noses out of the baseball operations quite well recently, so I really don't care about filling out a spreadsheet about grading their morals, family relations and personal hygiene.   These broadcasters are likely all egotist and divas who compete with each other, backstab and are looking to become personalities who have social followings.  I have 3 daughters, and some of the stuff I am seeing here reminds me of "mean girl cliques" in 4th grade elementary school.

I have disagreed with almost everything you have said, but agree it’s ridiculous not to give the owner credit for hiring the right people and staying enough out of their way to allow for the success.  I think the fact that JA isn’t getting much credit for that from the common fan is probably irksome to him and part of the problem here.  He is still an idiot for this decision though.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

I have disagreed with almost everything you have said, but agree it’s ridiculous not to give the owner credit for hiring the right people and staying enough out of their way to allow for the success.  I think the fact that JA isn’t getting much credit for that from the common fan is probably irksome to him and part of the problem here.  He is still an idiot for this decision though.  

Yeah, I can't argue that, and its a very valid point. But it was buried in about 286 other ridiculous points. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

He is supposedly letting the baseball ops people do their thing, hands off - and I certainly hope that continues.

The hands are obviously still on the broadcast side of things.

32 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

No one in their right mind would pick up Brown to do their broadcasts. Sorry but baseball announcers are nice (if they stick to baseball) but replacable. NO ORGANIZATION needs a diva who causes problems for their employer.  He should find another line or work.  This is not the place for "social influencers" or the Kardashians groupies.   Please remember that there have been a series of different broadcasters for the O's this year.  It might just be as simple as they felt his style was not where they wanted to be going.  That is okay, but all the drama queens got themselves involved.

Bus Watching GIF - Bus Watching Creepy - Discover & Share GIFs

Just now, 25 Nuggets said:

He is supposedly letting the baseball ops people do their thing, hands off - and I certainly hope that continues.

The hands are obviously still on the broadcast side of things.

For sure they are in the broadcast side.  Perhaps that is just a product of boredom and wanting to feel like he is having some effect.  We do have to remember the broadcast side is MASN and not the Orioles.  The fear, of course, is this bleeds into how he manages affairs with the Orioles.  To date, there isn’t a lot of evidence that it has. Elias seems to have lots of autonomy and a long contract.  

53 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

I agree that this incident sounds more like something from the "Onion" than something real. By the way, Brown was NOT the lead broadcaster on any Orioles broadcast.   Had anybody here ever heard of "Awfull Announcments" before?

What in God's name are you talking about? Of course he was.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I've been an Oriole, fan for about 60 years.I was the team batboy for them in the early 70's in Miami where they trained. Many of the players, still alive, like Brooks Robinson,Boog Powell, Jim Palmer and others ,remain my friends from the time I was about 15 years old. I write none of these things to show off or suggest I am any more passionate about this franchise than anyone on this page. Im not any more knowledgeable than many of you here, but I think I do have some insight that other may not have. I've known this story for about two weeks but said nothing to protect my recently new friend Kevin Brown, who I believe is a rising star in broadcasting. I felt terrible about this.I could no longer hold back when the story exploded all over the media this week. It's absolutely true that as petty as it appears, that IS what happened This is ALL on John Angelos and his insecurity . Kevin is not only, in my opinion, the best announcer the Orioles have had since Jon Miller(you don't have to agree), he was on his way, with good management to becoming an Oriole broadcasting fixture. I doubt he stays in Baltimore when his contract expires whenever that is. I doubt Mike Elias will remain for much longer in the Oriole front office either.The truth is, poisonous management is often the reason people leave their jobs for other ones in all kinds of American business..and its the same in baseball. Sure Steinbrenner was a horrible, narcissistic owner, but in most cases left the players and announcers alone...(not Billy Martin). And the Yankees won despite and also BECAUSE of George.But Steinbrenner paid his employees well even if he treated them like crap at times. It's not the same with Angelos. He simply doesn't pay well enough or have enough good enough rapport with his employees to run a long term successful operation. Look, John has done some nice things for me, and for that I am grateful. But now I am furious John's NEEDLESS and petty interfering has put a negative national focus on this wonderful season. It may not remain a story, and the team will play as well on the field as it can. I dont doubt they will have a great season to finish it out, and who knows? ...MAYBE play well in the postseason. But this interference and distraction paints this franchise in a negative light. And I resent it as a loyal Oriole fan and follower for decades. It's all so damned unnecessary and needless.

You have far more insight than me and far more connections and knowledge of this team (and in particular this situation) than I do. That said, I completely appreciate this post as it represents my thoughts as well. I love watching broadcasts where Brown is the announcer and the experience without him in the booth is a significant downgrade in my opinion. While I appreciate that John Angelos taking over has seemed to open things up for a bit of progress on the field with Elias and Sig and an improved international presence. The truth is, this, and the kerfuffle with Dan Connelly, and the goings on regarding the stadium lease all (at least from the outside looking in) seem to be self inflicted wounds created by John Angelos which continue to cast a shadow over what should be nothing but a joyous season. 

I am sorry if this was already posted.

Yankees broadcaster went off on the Orioles after announcer’s ‘disgraceful’ suspension

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/yankees-michael-kay-orioles-suspension-kevin-brown

The Baltimore Orioles are catching a lot of flack from baseball fans at large after the erroneous suspension of MASN reporter Kevin Brown. And now New York Yankees broadcaster Michael Kay has jumped into the fray as well.

On Monday, a report from Awful Announcing revealed that Brown — an Orioles play-by-play broadcaster for the local broadcast MASN — was apparently suspended for pointing out Baltimore’s streak of road series losses to the Tampa Bay Rays. While the Orioles snapped the 15-series streak in late July, Brown was reportedly suspended indefinitely for the pregame comments, even though they were part of the team’s game notes and were accompanying a graphic made by MASN itself.

The outcry about Brown’s suspension has gotten so loud that even long-time Yankees announcer Kay had his feathers ruffled over the incident as well. On Monday’s episode of The Michael Kay Show, the announcer ripped into the Orioles for their “disgraceful” suspension of Brown.

It’s no wonder Kay’s so heated. All Brown did was do his job as a broadcaster for the Orioles, yet was suspended for stating actual facts about the team that were in the game notes, no less.