Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

I appreciate Roy's insight. Doesn't make me feel very good because I so don't want to see this leak over to the baseball operations side but I'm afraid it just may. It's bad enough as it is. We may second guess Elias and Hyde but they have built this team and what appears as a real competitive future. If J A and his PR team have any smarts at all, they better bring a quick positive resolution to this latest self-inflicted saga and quickly embark on some real positive moves for this franchise. Not expecting it however. So, watching and listening to the booth tonight may be more interesting than the game. Anxious to see how this plays out. A stain on a great season that just didn't have or need to be. Stupid is as stupid does.

I still think there's more to this story.

No, I get it, he was suspended for that well-circulated clip.  I get that, I believe that.

But I also don't believe he get suspended THIS long for something like THAT.  I bet JA just doesn't like him for some reason.  This had to have been some kind of a straw that broke the camel's back.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Right, but fair or not, the "Orioles" go from the golden child of MLB to a national embarrassment, I don't think it's too far out there to suggest it can spill over to the field. It puts the players in an uncomfortable position.

My guess is that the direct effect will be minor. I haven't seen signs of there being a particularly close relationship or rapport between KB and the players & Hyde and most of the latter and Brown haven't been around long enough to have built such up. Managers and coaches are much closer to players than a kid announcer is but nonetheless so many times a team will do just as well or even better after a well-liked manager or coach is canned (or inspiring players like Mancini or Lopez last year were traded).

Edited by LA2

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I still think there's more to this story.

No, I get it, he was suspended for that well-circulated clip.  I get that, I believe that.

But I also don't believe he get suspended THIS long for something like THAT.  I bet JA just doesn't like him for some reason.  This had to have been some kind of a straw that broke the camel's back.

Let’s say you are correct…my guess is whatever the other reason is, is likely just as stupid as this one.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

I am starting to having a difficult time imagining, short of a public mea culpa from JA (improbable), that Kevin Brown will ever do another Oriole play-by-play broadcast. I know Brittany reported an August 11 return, but how can Brown retain his dignity without a JA statement absolving Kevin of any wrongdoing?

He may be contractually obligated to do games whenever the organization puts him on the schedule, and the Angelos family is particularly litigious. Hopefully Brown is lawyered up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Wonder if Angelos will show his face at the park anytime soon?

I find it interesting that he kept a super low profile for a long time, to the point that we all felt he didn't even watch the games or pay attench at the micro level to what was going on.

But then starting in the last few weeks he has been popping up all over the place, seen at games, on camera, hanging with Elias, etc.

Definitely a change in his M.O., don't know if it is just wanting to jump in on the glory now that we are one of the best teams in baseball, or what it is.

But something changed fairly recently.   And then this fiasco.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I find it interesting that he kept a super low profile for a long time, to the point that we all felt he didn't even watch the games or pay attench at the micro level to what was going on.

But then starting in the last few weeks he has been popping up all over the place, seen at games, on camera, hanging with Elias, etc.

Definitely a change in his M.O., don't know if it is just wanting to jump in on the glory now that we are one of the best teams in baseball, or what it is.

But something changed fairly recently.   And then this fiasco.

Of course it’s because the team is good. He wants the pat on the back.  He craves the attention.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

LOLOL.  You are literally the only person who thinks this.  Everyone in the industry is calling Kevin Brown a true professional and saying he would have no problem finding work.  He already does work for ESPN, calling basketball and baseball games.  To blame Kevin Brown for this and cast aside any blame for Angelos is the definition of clueless and naive.  You are CLEARLY posting here at the instruction of John Angelos, and doing a horrible job of hiding it.  That is the only explanation for the absurdities of your posts - just as absurd as Angelos' behavior. 

His join date is July 17, about 4 weeks ago.   Most of his posts before the Kevin Brown thing were pretty reasonable in various discussions that were going on, on the site.   But it is interesting that he joined in July, which was just about when John Angelos started raising his profile and appearing at Orioles games, being seen on camera, etc.

2 hours ago, AdamK said:

This story is everywhere. 

Our clubhouse is aware of this and have their own feelings on ownership, I'm sure. 

It may not be their business because they have an entirely different job to do, but it's distracting (verb). Whether it becomes a distraction (noun) is another thing. Hopefully not. A loss tonight doesn't make it so.

If they let something like this distract them from their game then they're woosies.

This topic clearly has some people hot under the collar, and I am a fan of Kevin Brown's work, but....isn't this the type of drama that we would use when we were 30 games out of the pennant race in August back in the day, just to keep things interesting?  This is not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, and certainly isn't in any way keeping me from enjoying our team.  On my FB feed its post after post from Hangout members saying we should boycott and start chants and on and on.  For what purpose?  Do you think Angelos cares?  Nope.  Do you think anything would change?  Nope.  Could it possibly be a distraction for our team wondering why people are cheering against their boss rather than FOR them?  Yup.  

My two cents...let it go and root on the Birds.  

Edited by Dipper9
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1