Could Elias call up our 19-year old SS phenom?

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

If they wanted a shot in the arm, then I just don't see a reason why they wouldn't give Ortiz another shot. If they skip Ortiz in favor of Jackson right now, then it was foolish to hang on to Ortiz at the trade deadline.

Because Holliday is more talented. We are trying to make a playoff run. Put the chips in the center and grab the bull by the horn. Go for it.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It would take several injuries to get Holliday to the majors this year.  Ortiz is ahead of him on the call up list and with Urias, Gunnar, Westburg, Mateo and Frazier on the team they are not bringing up Holliday to sit or  get very few at bats.

Holliday wouldn’t be sitting or getting very few at bats if he were called up. 

12 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

We have a logjam in the infield now, and during Manny's year we had -0.7 dWAR Wilson Betemit manning third. Manny had also been in AA the entire year. I don't think this is comparable.

Manny also hadn’t been dominating the minor leagues in the way that Holliday has. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

Because Holliday is more talented. We are trying to make a playoff run. Put the chips in the center and grab the bull by the horn. Go for it.

But is Holliday ready to contribute more than Ortiz right now? I vote no. I think Ortiz would out-produce Holliday right now. If you're really putting the best team on the field, then we could use them both. But I don't think that has a chance of happening.

Adding Jackson to the 40 man roster would cost us a player.  I doubt he's on the ML roster before next spring at the earliest.  Probably more like mid summer.  The 40 man roster will require much more difficult decisions this off season than it has in the past as it is.  I doubt Elias wants to make it harder before he has to.

• Upvote 1

• Greg Pappas changed the title to Could Elias call up our current 19-year old SS phenom?

I highly doubt it. Only way I can see it is if Elias wants to take a run at Rookie of the Year next year and wants to give Jackson some MLB experience similar to Gunnar. But Jackson is a year away from where Gunnar was when he came up last year. I think if he wanted to push Holliday up he would have been promoted to Bowie much earlier. He would have to essentially jump from AA straight into the stretch run for the playoffs. And he'd be taking AB's from Westburg and Urias who are having success.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Adding Jackson to the 40 man roster would cost us a player.  I doubt he's on the ML roster before next spring at the earliest.  Probably more like mid summer.  The 40 man roster will require much more difficult decisions this off season than it has in the past as it is.  I doubt Elias wants to make it harder before he has to.

Our 40 man can withstand losing Keegan Akin. He’s out of options for next year. 

21 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sorry, WC. I think this is massively flawed thinking. I understand where you're coming from, but this ain't show friends, it's show business. I don't give a flying crap who's paid their theoretical dues ahead of Jackson Holiday. If ME thinks Holiday can come up and produce, then he better do it.

You appear to think that Holliday is immune to the adjustment to the majors that many other O's rookies go through.  That is on the offensive side. On the defense Holliday does not have Gunnars arm or range at this point in his young career.

You sound star struck with Holliday.  I agree Holliday will probably be a star player once he is an established player.   He seem like Bobby Witt Jr to me.   But even Witt had a .216 average in his first 74 at bats.  And the O's do not need that in a pennant race.

Fact is the O's will probably not need Holliday at all this season.  There is probably not be a good reason to start his major league clock.

18 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

But is Holliday ready to contribute more than Ortiz right now? I vote no. I think Ortiz would out-produce Holliday right now. If you're really putting the best team on the field, then we could use them both. But I don't think that has a chance of happening.

Holliday will OPS north of .500