Could Elias call up our 19-year old SS phenom?

Greg Pappas

Guys forget about any extension. Forget about service time. Window is now. Bring him up and enjoy the 6 years. He is Matt Holliday's son. Hes been swimming in a sea of money his entire life. We have no leverage here. Why would a rich kid take less money? For financial security? Hes Matt Freaking Holliday's son. He was born financially secure.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You put a bunch of really tough guys that don't know how to play baseball on the field against a group of milquetoast guys with a lot of baseball talent and I know what team I'm picking.

I'm going with the tough guys. Frazier is nails. That's why he is lifetime over .300 in high leverage situations. When the going gets tough you want a guy like that.

8 hours ago, banks703 said:

The defense is not close and never will be close between them. Gunnar is head and shoulders above Holliday (and was at the same age) on the defensive side of the ball. 

How do you know that? Gunnar makes mental lapses and has issues with throwing. JJ Hardy was a better shortstop than Gunnar. And yet Hardy was a much inferior athlete. Holliday has the softer hands and perhaps better fundamentals. 

7 minutes ago, brucewayne said:

How do you know that? Gunnar makes mental lapses and has issues with throwing. JJ Hardy was a better shortstop than Gunnar. And yet Hardy was a much inferior athlete. Holliday has the softer hands and perhaps better fundamentals. 

How much of Holliday have you watched? There’s no way I could personally compare the two being that I’ve only seen highlights of Holliday. 

2 hours ago, brucewayne said:

Guys forget about any extension. Forget about service time. Window is now. Bring him up and enjoy the 6 years. He is Matt Holliday's son. Hes been swimming in a sea of money his entire life. We have no leverage here. Why would a rich kid take less money? For financial security? Hes Matt Freaking Holliday's son. He was born financially secure.

He is engaged to marry his high school girlfriend.  Maybe he is a loyalty type of guy?  Maybe he likes to be where he is comfortable?  Maybe he doesn’t need the money that much, so happiness is what he focuses on?  It’s always hard to know.  

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is engaged to marry his high school girlfriend.  Maybe he is a loyalty type of guy?  Maybe he likes to be where he is comfortable?  Maybe he doesn’t need the money that much, so happiness is what he focuses on?  It’s always hard to know.  

Plus, ya know there’s the whole being 19 thing and the O’s needing to do what’s best for the longterm health and stability of their franchise. 

6 hours ago, kaj21206 said:

I don't think he'll be up this season.  That will be one less 40 man spot available during the off season.  

This is what I keep reminding folks. Someone on the 40 man has to go for them to promote him to Baltimore and while I do concede that there is an outside chance that they do call on his bat for a division title push, I just don’t think it makes sense to burn that 40 man spot this year. 

45 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He doesnt need to take a team friendly deal for financial security. Hes already rich as hell.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, brucewayne said:

Manny was 20 when called up 

Manny was also in his 2nd full season of minor league ball, had over 900 minor league PAs and most importantly, the Orioles had a huge hole at 3B on their roster.

Also, Duquette was never playing for six years down the road or even concerned about controllability and I'm certain that plays a part on Elias' moves. 

With Urias, Frazier and Westburg all playing well, and Henderson pretty entrenched at SS, there is not real place for him to play and no one knows how he would handle the two level jump. 

Elias has never jumped a player completely over AAA as he's brought them up and spoken often about the need to for player to get through different "hoops". 

So as amazing of a season as Holliday is having, I think there is about a 0.1% chance Elias brings him up this year and starts his clock, and loses a 40-man spot this offseason that he wouldn't have to lose otherwise.

It just would be a major change in M.O. by Elias, and again, when you look at this team, I don't think there is a major need right now in the lineup that would be worth starting his clock for.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, brucewayne said:

I agree with you that it is very improbable that he would take an any discount. The way to an extension likely lies in a 13/14 year deal with an opt out after 8/9. 

The problem with that deal or really any extension or significant signing for the O's is the awfulness of our ownership. It is unlikely that Angelos would pay what it takes for any significant contracts. Are we even sure that he cares anything at all about retaining good/young players long term OR for that matter whether the team wins or looses?