As Good As This Team Has Been, They Seem To Have Trouble Beating Talented Teams Outside The Division.

ORIOLE33

On 8/16/2023 at 11:24 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

Not a gripe, just an observation I've noticed. Despite their record, SD is one of those talented  teams. I think that's the only thing keeping TB alive for the AL East title. They way the O's have taken care of the AL East, their lead should be more than two games. 

This could be an issue in the playoffs. Winning the division is vital. 

It's weird.  It's almost like the better an opposing team is the more difficult it is to beat them.  I'm not sure what could explain this phenomenon.  🤔

2 hours ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Thanks for your analysis.

No problem… teams playing as well as we are in 2023 that are on track to win 100 in baseball’s toughest division are rare experiences indeed in my almost 60 seasons of being an Os fan. 

Maybe not quite equalling the 109 game winning 69 team and 70 - 71  teams but we will never see those again ..  If they win 100 then that is the first time since 1980 we have had this good a team with 100 wins and we may not see a better one for another 30 years.  Enjoy it!! 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

No problem… teams playing as well as we are in 2023 that are on track to win 100 in baseball’s toughest division are rare experiences indeed in my almost 60 seasons of being an Os fan. 

Maybe not quite equalling the 109 game winning 69 team and 70 - 71  teams but we will never see those again ..  If they win 100 then that is the first time since 1980 we have had this good a team with 100 wins and we may not see a better one for another 30 years.  Enjoy it!! 

Thanks again. smh

You're remarkably hot about a stat that I've admitted might be meaningless... which is what I think you want me to say -eventho, I've already said it a bunch of times.  It's meaningful until it isn't, even with our wonderful season.

Go cut the lawn and chill out.

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

13 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

Thanks again. smh

You're remarkably hot about a stat that I've admitted might be meaningless... which is what I think you want me to say -eventho, I've already said it a bunch of times.  It's meaningful until it isn't, even with our wonderful season.

Go cut the lawn and chill out.

I am perfectly chill .. starting a thread with a premise that some believe is not accurate leads to being challenged on it. Thus a discussion board. 
No “public shaming” or “ being hot” ..or need to “chill by cutting grass” lol  these are your words.  I simply disagree with you.  Have a good night. Go Os ! 

Edited by tntoriole

• 2 weeks later...

I just don’t think our relatively mediocre record against good NL teams means anything.  The Blue Jays are 29-15 against the NL. They’re 3-0 against the Braves, 3-0 vs. Diamondbacks, 2-1 va. Dodgers, 2-1 vs. Brewers, 2-1 vs. Giants, 2-1 vs. Reds.   Are they somehow inherently more capable of beating good NL teams?  Not in my opinion.  That’s who they’ve happened to beat, while getting waxed by the Orioles and the rest of the AL East.